PDA

View Full Version : Battery replacement

Mac Attack
04-04-2005, 09:22 AM
It's time to replace my batteries on my Billfisher. I currently run one starting battery and three deep cycle house batteries inside the standard battery box. It seems like the group 24 series batteries fit this box. What are other Billfisher owners running in their boats? What brands? gel cell ? 6 volt?

Thanks Mike
Mac Attack

DOGHOUSE26
04-04-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm in the same boat. Last time 3 years ago I installed 4 group 24 Interstate Deep Cycle batteries; they were a little cheaper than the Delcos Don originally installs. I have since found a cheaper Delco connection here in San Diego so I'm going back to them; I always got 5 years out of them. I'm just not sure if gels are worth the money for the type of use I do; I really don't want to redesign the existing battery box/storage area to accomodate larger batteries.

Mac Attack
04-04-2005, 02:53 PM
I also looked into the gel cells, way too expensive. I also looked into installing a new onboard charged. My original charger is working fine, but when looking at replacement chargers they state they will work on both sealed lead acid and gell cell. Is there a difference? Replacing all battery cables while I am at it. Do I use brass terminals? Looks like I have a mixture of both.

Thanks Mike
Mac Attack :confused:

Time Out
04-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Mike

We changed out the batteries last year we went to 6 volt best move you can make we run 4 batteries they last longer and provide more power.

Russ

DOGHOUSE26
04-04-2005, 07:06 PM
We're talking about our boats dork, not the family vibrator! :eek: You guys always think about sex first, some of us aren't that way! ;)

hijole
04-05-2005, 11:28 PM
I have always used Delco(group 24). 2 for the engine and 2 for the house. They have lasted 5 years each for the past 16 years. I gave my last set to a freind in a Skipjack 6 years ago after I used them for 5 years. He still is using them.
The last time I wanted to buy batteries Don wouldn't sell them to me until I replaced the solonoid. I replaced it and the batteries took the charge again. I think that was 3 years ago.
I say go with Delco's.