PDA

View Full Version : Small water leak on 26' Billfisher

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 06:34 AM
#0, Small water leak on 26' Billfisher
Posted by Wizard on Dec-10-03 at 01:42 PM

When my 26' Billfisher is in the slip, she isn't 100% dry. The bilge pump goes on every now and then and pumps out a couple gallons. Previous owner told me it leaked and when we sea-trialed it, we thought we found the reason to be a corroded tube that goes from the fish hold, through the hull. I noticed they don't even put that tube in the newer Billfishers (noticed Nomad didn't have it).
Well, that seems well repaired and there is still a leak somewhere. I finally took her out of the water, filled the bilge with fresh water, and crawled under and could find not any leaks. I think the water pressure isn't the same as when sitting in the slip. I thought I found a drip around the transducer, and did a repair, but I don't think that was it (haven't tested again yet). I'm hoping it is not the I/O, boots are new, and water appears to be draining from front into the engine bilge.

My questions, for those of you that know your Blackman's well, are:

1. Any known common problem areas to look for?

2. Any good ideas for further testing?

3. How many things on the I/O can leak besides the main boot?

Thanks in advance.

Glenn - The Reel One

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Small water leak on 26' Billfisher
Posted by NoSlack on Dec-10-03 at 03:19 PM
In response to message #0

I found a small leak last month on my bait tank hose. Shut off your thru-hull bait pump valve and fill the tank with water. The 2 to 3 feet of head will be enough pressure to locate the leak if it is in that system. You can do the same for the washdown pump. Shut the valve and connect a garden hose to your washdown hose with a male hose to male hose adapter. turn on the garden hose and start looking for leaks.
Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Small water leak on 26' Billfisher
Posted by Wizard on Dec-10-03 at 04:48 PM
In response to message #1

Dang. Sounded like such good advice, I ran right out and tried it. Neither are leaking.
Would have been an easy fix if so.

Thanks

Glenn - The Reel One

#3, RE: Small water leak on 26' Billfisher
Posted by NoSlack on Dec-10-03 at 05:30 PM
In response to message #2

Is your bait tank drain line above or below the water line? If it is below the water line it could be leaking when you're in the slip.
With the boat on the trailer, you can plug the drain where it exits the boat. Use a rod butt cap built up with some tape to get a good seal. Fill the tank back up, with the through-hull valve closed and see if the bilge fills over night.

If all the through-hull fittings and hoses pass the leak test you need to look at the rubber donut gasket that seals the engine to the outdrive mounting collar. One last place is the mounting collar itself. It should be sealed and the bolts through the hull should be tight. These would be easier to check in the water. Dry the bilge and back the trailer down the ramp to cover the area with water. While standing on your head in the engine box, look for water dripping down the transom area.

Mike

#4, RE: Small water leak on 26' Billfisher
Posted by Wizard on Dec-10-03 at 06:09 PM
In response to message #3

The bait tank outflow is above the waterline.
Your idea for checking the I/O however, sounds good. I shall have to try that.

#5, RE: Small water leak on 26' Billfisher
Posted by moo fish on Dec-10-03 at 07:05 PM
In response to message #4

My mystery leak was from the head--the sea water inlet. Maybe check the sink drain......and, that ramp at SQ is dirt complete with submerged concrete tank traps......rt on the Moo Fish

#6, RE: Small water leak on 26' Billfisher
Posted by Wizard on Dec-10-03 at 08:04 PM
In response to message #5

You mean the macerator thru-hull? I can see no leak there.
SQ ramp is still dirt? Ewwwww, no way I can launch a 26' Billfisher in that without 4-wheel drive. Hmmmmm....

#7, RE: Small water leak on 26' Billfisher
Posted by Wizard on Jan-22-04 at 11:21 AM
In response to message #6

As a couple people have noticed, "The Reel One" is in the shop for a few weeks as a direct result of the continuing leak issue. Someone asked that I post the painful details. I hesitated to do so earlier for several reasons, having just got the boat and apparently inherited this, but I'll post it since I was asked.
The leak is coming from the outdrive steering fork. No big deal? Well, the bushings and seal are basically gone, so we don't even know if the steering arm is still any good. Next problem, someone snapped the setscrew bolt head off the steering arm (connects to splines on top of the steering fork) long time ago. Explains why the bushings/seals were never replaced. The bad part, can't be fixed now without pulling the engine (can't drill out, extract or retap broken setscrew with engine in there). I don't need to lay out the rest of what that means, many of you know. The snowball of other things that either should be done or need to be done, like replacing corroded hardware, painting, starter rebuilding etc. all come into play. Ya, several thousand bucks.

The good thing, major increase in piece-of-mind afterwards. Trust and reliability go up. At least it isn't mid-season, and after all, it is a boat. By the time I'm done, damn near a new boat.

Glenn

P.S. Still looking for a boat ride for the memorial.

#8, RE: Small water leak on 26' Billfisher
Posted by NoSlack on Jan-22-04 at 12:07 PM
In response to message #7

You've already decided to buy a new steering fork so cut the old one off just below the arm. The fork is aluminum and shouldn't take more that a few minutes to cut through with a hacksaw.
As far as the problem your having, I could tell ya some stories about my first 6 months that would make you forget all about what's happening with your boat.

If you need a hand with anything feel free to call. Engine, outdrive , starter, alternator, steering fork, you name it I pulled it at one time or another.

Mike

#9, RE: Small water leak on 26' Billfisher
Posted by Wizard on Jan-22-04 at 06:47 PM
In response to message #8

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-04 AT 06:48 PM (PST)

No way to get under the steering arm and cut it off. After I read your suggestion, I thought about the possibility of cutting off the arm and grinding down the stub to less then the diameter of the fork, but then that would be two parts to replace (if you could find them easily), and really, there still isn't room.
Engine hopefully out by tomorrow =/

Glenn