PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 41P Starter Solenoid Sticker Shock!

Dos Pelones
04-14-2005, 07:29 AM
I needed a new starter solenoid. Old one has an internally loose main stud. Called Valley Diesel and they quoted $460.00 for just the new solenoid, $650.00 for new starter and solenoid. I bent over and paid for the starter and solenoid unit. Now I have an extra good starter with a bad solenoid. Question, the solenoid appears to be a sealed unit, non-rebuildable, at least by me. Any suggestions on aftermarket replacement or rebuild ideas for the starter solenoid? Thanks in advance for any responses!
Jorge

Wizard
04-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Sorry to hear you went forward with that purchase through Valley Diesel. They are as retail as can be.

PG Auto Electric downtown has rebuilt starters for many Blackman owners over the years. I'm sure they can rebuild your 'spare'.

NoSlack
04-14-2005, 11:56 AM
I have a bad starter with a good solenoid on the garage floor. It came off my 40, but I think the 40 & 41 use the same starter.

If you want to send your solenoid to me, I'll try and fix it, or send you the one off my old starter.

Mike

Dos Pelones
04-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Yep, Valley sucks. Thanks Wizard for the offer. Took the solenoid to Orange Engine in Dana Point and they are sending it to their starter connection. It is a Vertec solenoid so its out there and available at a fair price somewhere, just not with green paint and from Valley. I knew better but rationalized my decision somehow.
Might still take you up on that offer Wizard. I have a spare alternator, I put on a Balmar aftermarket, or A5 props to trade? Should know more next week.
Thanks again!

Wizard
04-14-2005, 08:59 PM
I think you are referring to Mike (NoSlack's) offer. I am however looking for A4 or A5 props, so I'm willing to gain from Mike's offer somehow. LOL

Dos Pelones
04-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Yep, it was Mike, thanks. I have an extra set of A5's as I use A4's and have a spare set. When I bought the boat it came with A5's but I switched to A4's to get more RPM's @ WOT under load. You are welcome to borrow them and see how they work. I am very close to Dana Point Harbor. Let me know.
Jorge

Wizard
04-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks Jorge. I am working on the boat for a couple more weeks. Phil lent me some A3s (we think), that I am going to play with. If I can get up your way for something, and first tests show I should go up to where I think in size, I'll get with you.

ccollar
08-05-2005, 02:09 PM
You can buy the correct solenoid from iboats for about $60. http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?prod_id=4871

Or buy a rebuild starter on ebay right now for $295. Item #: 4565899893.

Craig