PDA

View Full Version : could use some help with prop info

fireescape
04-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Took off sunday morning with a tank of bait and flat seas. Just outside mouth of MB I spit the outside prop,I come about and gimp it back into my slip. I have a spare set of props, nose cone, spacers so i should be getting my line wet very soon. I was wrong! I did not have the second line cutter. It was my baits lucky day.....what a bummer! The prop that I lost was a stainless,and my spares are aluminum. I called shirley and she told me that most of the props she sells are aluminum. What are you guys running? I have the 26' outterbanks with a 41 200hp. Should i be running A4 or A5? and last question were can i find a couple of line cutters? thanks so much for the help. zack FIRE ESCAPE

Professor
04-19-2005, 01:37 AM
I run Al A4’s on my 26’ Billfisher with the AD41. Under normal to heavy loads these props give the best performance. I believe that most people that have tried to swing the A5’s with that engine boat combination have given up and gone back to the A4’s. It’s better to be under propped than over propped.

When I set the boat up I thought I wanted to run SS props since that’s what I had always run on my outboards. My research indicated that the speed range, RPM and other performance characteristics dictated Al props. Also since the Al weigh less than SS, they are easier on the out drive every time you go in gear and the Al props are much easier on the wallet. SS props sure do look better though.

Sorry about the loss!

Knot Now
04-19-2005, 07:50 AM
I am running Al A3s. I think I am under propped. It makes very little difference in the top speed (about 1 knot at 3000 rpm) and I have a slower speed at idle. Noticeably less engine rattle as I accelerate. Is an Outbanks model lighter than a Billfisher?

Phil

DOGHOUSE26
04-19-2005, 07:51 AM
I'm running A4s also, what size are your SS props ? C3s? they say when going to stainless you should move down one size as the stainless does not flex under load as the aluminum does. I think Propellers of SD can re-glue your hub so you can use your SS as a spare.

fireescape
04-19-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm running A4s also, what size are your SS props ? C3s? they say when going to stainless you should move down one size as the stainless does not flex under load as the aluminum does. I think Propellers of SD can re-glue your hub so you can use your SS as a spare.
Thanks for the info guys...I had Driscals MB look at the props and they said they are aftermarket with no markings? It sounds like I need to go aluminum.... WOT I was getting about 3400rpm and maybe 18 knts??? I always felt like I was over revving?

DOGHOUSE26
04-19-2005, 11:00 AM
You should be getting 3800-4000 RPM fully loaded fuel, water,1-3 crew, bait, etc. My top end is 3950-4000 RPM 24.7 knots AD41P 200HP (185 HP @ shaft)
Cruise 3000 RPM 14.7-15.2 nts

Phil - If you're underpropped what RPM were you running out the jetty and along the beach Saturday AM? I was running 3000/15.2 and you had me by 1-2 nts.

I do notice an approximate 1-1.5 nt increase over the range when running on the last half tank. It's a different boat when it's light!

By the way the line cutters are no longer made. Volvo uses spacer washers now. No Slack Mike found some on Ebay a while back, it might be your only chance.

Knot Now
04-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Jeff,
I was running 3200-3250 rpm at 19+ knots :)
Phil

Wizard
04-19-2005, 04:04 PM
By the way the line cutters are no longer made. Volvo uses spacer washers now. No Slack Mike found some on Ebay a while back, it might be your only chance.

I've got two sets of these dumb supposed line cutters, I'm not impressed. As you saw on another recent thread, Phil came over and helped me replace outdrive seals that were embedded with fishing line. My outdrive is only 8 months old with a half dozen runs on it before the rains came last winter.

I took one set of them to the grinder and sharpened them like knives this time. We will see if it helps. Just commenting about the less-then-useful design factor of them.

DOGHOUSE26
04-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Sorry I missed it :( , I guess I'll just have to drink ALL the beer myself ! :p

Wizard
04-19-2005, 06:00 PM
LOL.. I posted the time and date on that thread.

Bring over the beer and help me install a new fishfinder then... ;)

Dos Pelones
04-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Same here, A4's with the 41 on a 26 express. We had A5's but just couldn't get the 3900 rpm's under load. Ain't it the truth, how sweet they run light. Man I want a D4 so bad, 260 hp would be sweet!

hijole
04-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Don installed A4's new 16 years ago. I changed to A3's about 12 years ago.
I'm pretty sure that the part called a "line cutter" is not a line cutter but a spacer. As Doghouse says it is replaced with something else.
A prop shop can change the pitch of a prop. I've heard of the angle changed by a 1/2 over or under.

hijole
04-19-2005, 08:32 PM
I think I have an extra set of A3's if you want to try them out. Send me an email or come by. If To The Limit did not give me lemons they should be oK.

Wizard
04-19-2005, 08:37 PM
SD Propellors out in El Cajon has repitched a set of my props a full # in the past. Took a set of B4's to B3's. Ended up being too little. Tired of all my work with B series and plan to test A's until I figure it all out. The B5s I ran last year worked out, but they cavitate (at least I'm hoping that is what is doing it).

DOGHOUSE26
04-19-2005, 09:31 PM
They should be ok Pepe; I think he used waterproof Elmer's on the hubs the second time! The white glue wouldn't hold up! ;)

Jorge - you be the first one and let us know how the D4 works out; I've got 4300 on my 41P so my time is coming real soon! Man that's alot of coin for a new setup!

To The Limit
04-20-2005, 07:22 AM
Doghouse is right I did use the the upgraded glue the second time around on the props. BTW I am going to be selling three sets of props soon. They are out being sand blasted and painter now. There is a good set of A4s, a set of A4s that would be good for spares and a good set of A2s. When they are done I will post them in the boat section.

Wizard
04-20-2005, 07:46 AM
I am interested in the good set of A4 props. Please. :)

DOGHOUSE26
04-20-2005, 07:47 AM
Way to strip the boat for the new owner ! Are you going to have an electronics sale soon? :D

To The Limit
04-20-2005, 12:00 PM
No I kept them for the new boat. Could not afford to buy any.

Knot Now
04-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Maybe I should buy the A2s (to slow my boat down :D )

I would like to put a 280 Hp D6 in, but I think its too heavy at + 467 lbs. Even the D4 would add 234 lbs.
Phil

fireescape
04-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Hey guys.. Thanks for all the help, I bought a set of A4 from SD props and a set thrust washers from sunset marine. If i get a hall pass going down to the boat on sunday to try them out? once again thanks for all the info! ZACK FIRE ESCAPE