PDA

View Full Version : 5/7 Halibut wishin

NoSlack
05-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Yes it's that time of year when I start my annual quest for a 40 pound halibut.

After a 28 day run at work that consumed the whole month or April, I was itchen for some fishin. I took last Tuesday off to worked my magic down in San Diego Bay. Between the bait pump problems, the over population of seals and acres of small barracuda, it didn't take me long to get re-aquatinted with the frustration of halibut fishing. Tuesday yielded a big zero on the halibuts and just enough trash fish to keep me awake.

Today the plan was to explore the north coast from Del Mar down to Scripps. The wind was up early at a perfect 8-10 knot, the bait was big and I had my luck shorts on, clean side in. Even with all that going for me, I still came home with an empty cooler. I did have 2 bait that had the unmistakable raking of a halibut attack. Most likely they were small fish that just couldn't get their lips around the Mr. Ed sized bait I was using.

Next trip I'm headed back to my honey hole off the Hotel Del. If I can't get my game back on track down there, it's going to be a long summer.

Mike

Knot Now
05-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Mike,
I saw you out there at Del Mar. I was on that 42' Riveria fishing flat rock. We didn't get even a bite.
Phil

NoSlack
05-08-2005, 06:56 AM
Over the past few years that area has been a barren waist land until June and July. When you score up there, you score big. Over the past 5 years I've caught 1 fish under #30 fishing north of La Jolla.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
05-08-2005, 09:49 PM
South Island has been pretty dead also, although with the cudas coming up the line they might push some bait inside and push the halibuts up on the beach. Haven't heard of anything else; O'side/ Carlsbad slow as well.

Sleigher
05-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Hey Mike, how fast is to fast for halibut?
I had this idea about trolling for halibut last Sunday in LA harbor.
I took my new ten footer out with the 5 horse Briggs and Stratton.
The plan was to use a 3 pound ball tied on a rope with a release clip, then drag around smaller Rapalas and/or swimbaits.
Of course I forgot to bring a release clip, so instead I tied a dropper loop three or four feet ahead of the plug.
The problem was that even at idle the motor still pushed me around at 2.8 kts which seemed too fast.
The other problem was that at WOT I only got to 5kts.
Anyhow, your help is appreciated as I don't fish much for halibut and 90% of the ones that I do catch are incidental while fishing seabass.

Peter

Wizard
05-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Peter,

From what little I know about fishing for halibut (and nothing about catching halibut - LOL), you need to get your speed down to 1-1.5 knots if under power. Use a drift sock to slow your speed. Under power method is normally bounce-balling. Otherwise, you just go out during times with good drift or current and free-drift using a dropper loops setup.

Glenn

NoSlack
05-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Peter

As Glenn mentioned, 1-1 1/2 knots is about right for power drifting. That style of fishing is way to much work in my boat. A drift sock, 3 pound lead weights and a couple of lines to attend to from the flybridge is to much effort for me. halibut fishing is all about sleeping in late, and hit the water just as the morning breeze starts to pick up.

Most of my fishing is on a big tide swing in the bay or later on in the day when the wind will give you some good movement. I like to use 3-4 ounces of lead in the early part of the day and work up to 10 ounces before the afternoon winds drive me off the water. Down here is San Diego I fish 30-45 feet of water when the fish move in to spawn. You should be able to hold bottom most of the day with less than 10 ounces of lead if you fish shallow like I do.

The key to hooking halibut is using a trap rig(trailing treble hook) and getting as many baits in the water as you can handle without fouling your lines.

Mike

Sleigher
05-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks Mike,
I agree on the too much work part with the big boat.
That was why I thought it would be easy with the ultra little boat.
Next time I'll catch some smelt first, then I'll get some big ones.
I used to catch a few on frozen grunion in my canoe days.
That was long before life got complicated with the arrival of my baby (Longfin).

Peter