PDA

View Full Version : 5/19 La Jolla

NoSlack
05-19-2005, 05:14 PM
The plan was to do some more swimming with the fishes in hope of plugging a nice WSB. So much for having a plan. Bro in-law forgot I said to leave Thursday open for a day on the pond.

Without a second guy I took a pass on taking a swim and did the rod and reel thing today. Bait was easy to come by, Spanish macs out in front of the PB pier, green back in the kelp and all the smelt you could want if you had the extra small Luck Joes tipped with mackerel.

After loading up the tank I set the hook for and hour so I could feed the seal half the bait I just made. Fishing the kelp in La Jolla sucks. Did I mention I hate seals.

By 8:00 I cut my loses and head out to the deeper water to try out some of the macs on the Lingcod. The Lings were very receptive to my offer and rewarded me with a nice #7.6 for dinner. Most of the Lings were just under 24" with the exception of the one I keep and one other big hookup that chewed threw my #50 mono dropper loop half way to the surface.

Wind kicked up in the afternoon and ran me back to the bay were I released 1 short halibut that eat a smelt.

Other than finding a cooler full of food and beer it was an uneventful day. I scored the cooler in the bay before dawn. I saw it on radar and thought to myself, I don't remember a buoy there. Pulled over to check it out and scored a Coleman 52 quart cooler full of goodies.

Mike

Sleigher
05-20-2005, 07:59 AM
The lingcod picture is OK but do you have a picture of the cooler and its contents? I'm hungry.

Peter