PDA

View Full Version : Engine coolant-what brand do you use

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 06:43 AM
#0, Engine coolant-what brand do you use
Posted by sc81 on Oct-30-02 at 08:57 PM

I have twin diesel 31b volvos. Also, do you add water and in what porportion to the coolant?
Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Engine coolant-what brand do you use
Posted by NoSlack on Oct-31-02 at 05:38 PM
In response to message #0

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-02 AT 05:41 PM (PST)

The book that came with my AQAD40 states, use only "Volvo Original Ethylene glcol" mixed with water. The ratio of water to anti-freeze is 65%/35% down to -4 degrees, 55/45 down to -22 degrees and 50/50 is good down to -31 degrees.
I've been using Prestone at 50/50 for the 7 years I've owned the boat and haven't had any problems. The manual I have is 22 years old, so it might not be the lates and greates info on the subject.

I wonder if Volvo has switched to the newer environmentally friendly Propylene Glycol anti-freeze? Any of you new boat owners have any input on this?

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Engine coolant-what brand do you use
Posted by moo fish on Nov-01-02 at 07:24 AM
In response to message #1

Reading the manuals that I found in among the engine pallets, VP still recommends a 50/50 antifreeze /water mix. Changed every two years. Or, if freezing is not a problem, a "anti corrosive" chanaged every year. Not very specific on the anti-corrosive. According to the manual, there are five different plugs that should be opened to completely drain the coolant. Note: the manual is glib--one manualcovering everything from a 31 to a 43. Probably the same engine?
And, if anyone needs heat exchangers, aftercoolers, injector pumps, rw pumps, etc. etc.,for the 41 series, please give me a shout. I have a numbe of semi-cannabilized engines in my yard. (First consideration to BOCA's.)Anybody got the repair manuals for the 41 series??...rt

#3, RE: Engine coolant-what brand do you use
Posted by Hijole on Nov-05-02 at 07:43 PM
In response to message #1

The question is do we/you need anti-freeze?
The temp has to get down to 32 where you have your boat.Volvo recomends anti-freeze if you need it. Many big boats on the water use Nalcool now owned by Penski it's called Penray. Most race cars like those that race the Baja races use this also. Read the info and talk to people who do not use anti-freeze. They will say that the heat is transfered better without using Anti-freeze because it is not as heavy. http://www.penray.com/hdcatalog/liquid3000.htm
Check it out.
Anti-freeze is thick and it takes more power from the pump to move it. This means the heat transfer is not as fast. The web site tells you that this chemical has the metal, rust and lubricating properties that a diesel engine requires.
If you need anti-freeze get a coolant made for diesel engines. That is a coolant void of Silacate. The regular car coolant is not the one.
There are several brands;Penray,Prestone, Fleetguard and Rotella. They will say on the container that it is for diesel engines and will give you the recomended engine manufactures that OK it's use.If you read the info on all of them except Rotella you will see that they need an additive. Rotella is available at WalMart for about $7 a gallon. It is already mixed 50/50 so you will have to buy 4 gallons. If you buy the brand to mix with water you may want to use distilled water. I don't think that's a big deal.If you live in SD you can find several big truck dealers along highway 94. EW Trucking off of Federal Ave. is one of those dealers.
The problem we have to guard against is the pitting that is accumulated around the cylnder sleeves. As they pit it prevents the liquid from cooling evenly.
Rotella does not have any of the junk that creates problems. They recomend that Rotella be changed after 600,000 miles or lifetime as long as you don't mix additives in it in big trucks.
I have the engine manual.
Good luck and do not forget to purge the system after you fill it up. You don't want the air to prevent the flow.