PDA

View Full Version : Which Windlass?

Wizard
06-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Mark Wisch of Pacific Edge recommends a real expensive Ideal Windlass, capstan only style. But for $1,800, I'm not sure I want to put out that much. Anyone happy with their windlass on a 26' Billfisher, with what I think is a 13.5 or 15 lb Bruce anchor? Capstan only style or ?

Sleigher
06-20-2005, 03:45 PM
These are cool but not cheap. http://www.ezanchorpuller.com/
I have, I believe the capstan only model but I don't know who makes it.
Mine is a pain because the rode doesn't feed into the locker without lot's of help.
Ideally somebody is down below pulling it into the locker.
I saw a guy with an Outerbanks at Catalina pulling his anchor from the cabin. That looked kinda nice.

Peter

LedSled
08-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Yea I've got one of the EZ pullers. It's great, real fast going down. Not a lot of HP to pull it up, only 300 lbs. Pull in the slack and use the main motor to break the anchor loose, pull it in, don't have to leave the helm. It is heavy and $ but it works real good.

Professor
08-03-2006, 09:37 AM
I’ve got a Maxwell and its ok if you’ve got tension on the rode. If you don’t have tension it likes to wad the rode up in a ball. In addition you need to carry some spare parts. Guess this isn’t a glowing recommendation. I use a 20# anchor and about 35’ of chain. I anchor up for the night a lot and I want to stay put.