PDA

View Full Version : The Halibut Student

firebc
06-20-2005, 08:00 AM
Yesterday (Sunday) headed out to try and duplicate last Sunday's success on halibut after my class with Mike. Left the dock around 0900 and headed over to the Hotel Del. The water was green (not like last week) and the tide was on the way out. Got in the area and searched for bait on the meter. Found some pockets but not many and they were scattered. After several drifts went inside the channel and didn't meter anything. Felt like we were stopped in the middle of the freeway with all the sailboats and navy vessels going in and out. On the way back stopped off Pt. Loma kelp and caught a couple of nice calicos but by then the wind was blowing hard so we headed back.

Phil

NoSlack
06-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Stay after them Phil, your pay day will come so enough.

After all these years of dialing in the halibut bite, I'll get in a slump that lasts 3 or 4 trips without getting a keeper. Out of the blue you'll land a 30 or 40 pound fish and you'll forget all about those countless hours you spent drifting through that barren wasteland.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
06-20-2005, 07:39 PM
I've got a buddy who has taken a halibut on iron just off the bottom off NW La Jolla 90-100', blue/white 6X jr., on each of his last 2 trips over 2 weekends. Go figure!

Time Out
06-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Jeff

You have a friend???? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

NoSlack
06-20-2005, 08:33 PM
The word was "buddy". Jeff never uses the "F" word.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
06-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Russ,

I now have more "Fs" :D than you have B.I.Ls :eek: ! OOOOOOOPPPPPPPPSSSSSS,Sorry, but I couldn't resist! :p

It's the MFs we can't talk about!