PDA

View Full Version : Auotpilot, Again

Dos Pelones
06-21-2005, 05:51 PM
We have had the Benmar to the factory 3 times. Each time they charge 100 bucks and it still won't steer a course. I bought the Raymarine 6100 kit. It came with a rotary compass fedback. There was no way to mount the rotary feedback to factory specs so I returned it. Their customer service sucks too.
Talked to the Blackman shop and Shirley said they are using the
Si-Tex SP-80 now. She did not know what rudder feedback they used and Steve or John never called back.
My question is, does this unit use the linear rudder feedback, the one which mounts with the TeleFlex adapter to the steering cylnder on the outdrive?
And if it uses the rotary feedback, where and how do you mount it?
Thanks for any info!
Jorge

Wizard
06-21-2005, 07:22 PM
I have the SP-70. Use the rotary feedback. It mounts on the transom with a stiff bendable spring looking wire that goes from the rotary feedback arm to the steering arm, swivel balls/clips on each end. I recently rebuilt my rotary feedback with a rebuild kit from Honor Marine. Turned out I didn't need to, it was my pump, but THEY, know what they are doing and are extremely helpful.

Come by my boat if you want to see what I mean. Call me if you want more info. 619.654.1161

Wizard
06-25-2005, 08:24 PM
I sent you pics of my rotary feedback on my SP-70 to your email address. Finally made it down to the boat today.

Moo Fish
06-26-2005, 06:25 AM
3X's to the Benmar factory and no joy?? Did you just send the head?? And no diagnosis or prognosis?? My Benmar won't steer a course---last season worked as advertised. Cleaned the contacts, cleaned the contacts, and cleaned the contacts--still no joy.....

And, I beat the "dead battery blues" by investing in a 1000w mini-generator. Straps to the transom and purrs 8amps into the battery bank. Now, how to charge both banks with the key off? The existing wiring is a nightmare.....

RT

Dos Pelones
06-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks Glenn! We didn't go out this weekend, working instead.

Moo Fish, just the head unit we took in, and yeah, the boys at Benmar always said that it was a bad connection, or that wire was bad, etc. But it would never steer a course after we hooked it in again. You could play with the dial and make the rudder move but no course was to be kept.

I finally just said screw it and called Sergio off the AllCoast board and he is putting in a Simrad AP16 and XM Pioneer Receiver with Ipod docking station and rewiring the panel this week. Then, as I am always saying, I'm almost done!