PDA

View Full Version : TAMD40! - Glow plugs

saltwaters
06-22-2005, 08:45 PM
One of my engines takes too long to start.

Does anyone know of a source for glow plugs for the TAMD40A? John from Blackman said I might be able to get them at Foreign Auto Parts. I'm not sure where that is in SD.

Thanks

Bill

NoSlack
06-23-2005, 11:21 AM
The glow plugs are made by Bosch. When I get home from the Padre game I'll forward the part number to you.

Bosch 0 250 200 053 is the number I use on my 40.

I'm sure you can get them at:
Advanced Diesel Injection
3134 Main Street
San Diego, Ca 92113
Ph. 619 232-6452 Just a few blocks from SQC or NASSCO

Mike

Go Padres

saltwaters
06-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks Mike. I called them today. They recommended I call PG Auto Parts. I'll pull one of them on Saturday and let you know if the number is different.

I appreciate the number and advice.

Bill

NoSlack
06-23-2005, 06:57 PM
PG is only a block south of our shop. I'll try and swing by friday and ask Victor what they have in stock.

Mike

p.s. the last 3 digits (711) may be a lot number and not part of the part number.

NoSlack
06-24-2005, 07:59 AM
P&G didn't have any glow plug.

Mike

saltwaters
06-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Mike,

Thanks for checking. I drove by there and found they aren't open on Saturday.

I pulled my glow plugs and tested them.

Two are working correctly, three do not heat up and the tip was broken off in one of them. (The last cylinder by the turbo)

Do you have any suggestions on how to safely remove the broken part from the engine?

The part number from the ones I removed is 146 025 0200 053. It looks like it said 11 volt after that.

I went to 5 auto parts stores looking for them. My mission today is to find one in Orange County.

Bill

NoSlack
06-26-2005, 09:56 AM
I don't know what the number 146 is, but the rest of it looks the same as my numbers.

146 025 0200 053 (your number)
0250 200 053 is the number on the reciept from Advanced Diesel back in 1996.

There are a lot of diesel shops in town. I'll make a few calls Monday to see if anyone has them in stock. If I find some, would you like me to pick up 4?

As far as getting the broken one out, If the glowplug is in an area with no chance of falling into the cylinder, crank the engine over and blow it out the hole. You want to be real sure on this one before you crank the engine. You don't want to take a chance sucking it into the engine.

Maybe Rick has some exsperience with the heads on the 40's and can shed some light on were the glug tip might end up.

Mike

NoSlack
06-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Just found a web site that cross references glow plug. Look at the 6th one down in the bosch column. 0250 200 053
http://mayindustry.com/autoparts/glowplug/multi3.htm

saltwaters
06-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Mike,

The PCH62 is the one. Yeah, If you find 4 of these, I'd appreciate if you could pick them up for me. That would be great.

I read some of the old posts at Boatdiesel. I read where the glow plug tip could fall into the cylinder in a 41A but not the 40 series. I wonder if I could use a bicycle pump or something to blow air into the intake manifold to get it out?

Let me know how if you find some. I'm still trying to find them locally.

Bill

NoSlack
06-26-2005, 03:50 PM
If it can't fall in, put a rag over the hole and crank the engine. The compression should shoot it out like a missle.

Mike

NoSlack
06-27-2005, 04:23 PM
Made a few calls today and came up empty. Valley Detroit Diesel is a Volvo rep and said they could order them at $50 a pop. Volvo #838954

They have shops in Irvine as well as City of Industry if you want to go through them.
http://www.valleypowersystems.com/

Onece I got the Volvo number I did a parts search at Stem to Stern and came up with the same price. http://www.stemtostern.com/catalog/DisplayProductDetails.asp?DepartmentInventoryRefID =60928

I think $50 a pop is way out of line. The price must go up 200% when Volvo re-packages stuff they by from Bosch.

Best bet is to find someone that will order straight from Bosch.

I'll keep looking for a better deal until I hear from you.

Mike

saltwaters
06-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the part number. This should help. I found two on-line sites that can get them from using the Bosch part number.

Parts America and Summit Racing. Both of these guys were around $30.00 - $32.00.

One of my local auto parts store is looking as well since he can order straight from Bosch. This might be my best bet.

It's kind of funny, Volvo diesel car at $8.00 - $11.00 and Volvo diesel boat at $50.00. What a racket?

Thank you for spending your time looking for me. I do appreciate it. If my local guy can't get them for cheaper, I'll order from one of the on-line stores.

Bill

NoSlack
06-27-2005, 07:46 PM
I like that Parts America site. It's one of the few online site you can put a part number in without entering in some vehical info first.

Thier price is the same as I paid 9 years ago here in town. I can't pass up a deal like that, so I ordered up a couple glow plugs for the boat and the truck.

Looks like you helped me out on this one.

Mike

saltwaters
06-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Great. I got a chance to return the favor.

Old Blue
06-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Bill, don't know if anyone has suggested this or not but soaking that thing with Aerokroil before you try removing it would probably help.

I don't think that putting air into the intake manifold would get the job done, it would probably run out through the air cleaner or other spots in the valve train. Maybe you could put that cylinder on its compression stroke, remove the injector and use a fitting with matching threads to fill the cylinder with compressed air and blow it out that way. Come to think of it you probably just need a tapered rubber stopper with an air line running through the center to press against the hole when you pressurize it. Making sure like Mike suggested that you capture the projectile!

Keep us posted on your search for those glow plugs. A long time ago I got some from some auto parts place ( can't remember which one) and I think I got them for $12-15.

If your motor still doesn't start as fast as you would like it may be fuel system leakage/depressurization. When I was trying to get my current moter to fire after installation one thing I did was remove the glow plugs and turned the motor over. It was quite a sight with big clouds of atomized fuel shooting out of the holes. When I put the plugs back in and fired it up, I don't think it even turned one revolution before it was running smoothly. It's never started anywhere near that fast since then and I take it that it's because the high pressure segments of the system bleed off pressure as it sits between starts and needs a certain number of cranks to get em all injecting again.

I think you can check the plugs in the hole by checking for continuity. With that many plugs not heating I'll bet you'll see significant improvement in starting.

Keep us posted and let us know what you find.

Brian on Old Blue....out.

saltwaters
06-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Brian,

I'll give the Aerokroil a shot. I didn't have any high tech penetrating fluids with me so I used the old stand-by WD40. Who knows, it might be loose now that it sat for a week.

I'll keep you updated on my progress. I ordered some glow plugs from PartsAmerica last night but didn't receive a confirmation e-mail from them. I hope this isn't a bad sign.

Bill

NoSlack
06-28-2005, 07:17 PM
I'll be out of town until July 8th. There should be 2 glow plugs shipped to my house early next week if you need them. I'll e-mail you the number here at the house incase you need to come by and grab them.

Mike

saltwaters
07-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Well, John Benson and I tried to get the glow plug out of the head. Didn't happen. We pulled the head and all other parts last weekend. I spent the whole week cleaning and painting the parts. John will reinstall the head tomorrow and I'll finish the rest of the engine. I hope to hear it run tomorrow.

I'll post the results. I guess the bright side of this exercise is I'm learning more about these 40 series engines and this engine ran hotter than the other one so cleaning the aftercooler, oil cooler and heat exchanger should fix this problem. The down side is I'm still working on the darn thing 8 months after I bought it. Have only fished three times since December 04.

Bummer.