PDA

View Full Version : Fished Saturday 25 June

yellowfin1
06-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Wind was up a little in the M.B. at midnight on Friday but we pressed on and got a scoop of nice dines. Really wanted to chasethe albies but concensus with crew was not to (good choice). The ride out to SCI was slow and bumpy with wind swell from west about 3-4' at what seemed lie 3 second intervals. Arrived shortly after 7:00 and fished the pyramid head area with a lot of other sport boats and private boats. Calicos were about the only thing we could get going. Tried a few drifts in the cove for halibut, but the wind was already pushing us too fast. Left the island at about 1:00PM. The ride back was Ok and we dicided to try La Jolla with the bait we still had left. About 12 miles from LJ The water started looking pretty good (68 degrees and semi blue). That quickly changed to greeeeennn at about 10 miles. At 6 miles we stopped on a paddy and I spotted a big yellowtail under it. My buddy immediately hooks up on it, and I run down to throw out a bait. I get bit and get wraped with him, My fish comes off and my line breaks his (three stooges). I feel bad and we are yellowtail-less. Thinking that was our only shot we all were sulking. At about 5 miles we sppot another paddy and again I see a large tail under it. My buddy hooks up and this time I stay in the fly bridge as a spectator. No followers so I just get ready to gaff the fish. Finally after about 10 minutes we sunk the gaff into a beautiful fish. It bottomed out the spring scale which goes to 25 lbs. Other buddy has a digital and the fish went to 26.1 lbs (52 points). Nice way to end the day. Moral of the story is don't discount the paddies in the green water. Oh yeah the water where the tails wer on paddies was 67.4-67.7.

Scott

NoSlack
06-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Nice going on the big Yellow. Looks like things are getting ready to happen on the outside.

I'm still tring to squeeze another 50 or 60 points out the inshore fish before venturing out past the 100 fathom curve and starting my offshore season.

Mike