PDA

View Full Version : Bait in Ensenada harbor

yellowfin1
07-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Any of you guys have the low-down on buying bait in Ensenada harbor? I expect to be pulling into Hotel Coral for fuel next week and will probably need to get some bait in that area too. Is bait available at Coral or only in the harbor. How do you get in touch with the guy?

Thanks,
Scott

Wizard
07-07-2005, 09:56 AM
The only bait in Ensenada, is at Mike's Bait Receiver in the main Ensenada harbor. It's on the left side as you get inside the breakwater. There is no bait receiver at the Coral.

Now, I heard that red tide set-in on Ensenada a few weeks ago, even before we first started to see it up here. When that happened down there, Mike's couldn't get or keep any fresh bait and was out for awhile. I don't know how to find out day-to-day if he has bait or not. Always been a cr*pshoot on if he has bait, and when he does, if it's any good, or what kind. Also, depending on when you go to the receiver, he may or not even be there or if really odd hours, he sometimes doesn't even wake up, no matter how much his dogs bark. That's as good an operation as it gets in Mexico. We just deal with it and roll the dice and always have a backup plan.

To The Limit
07-08-2005, 07:20 AM
I was just in Ensenada for four days last weekend. Mike had bait on Friday and none on Saturady or Sunday but Gordo's Sportfishing had some to sell early in the morning on those days. Best bet is to bring your own and get to Mike's or Gordo's early if you need more. Small mackeral were able to be caught at Punta Banda and could be used for yellowtail or rockcod fishing.

yellowfin1
07-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks for that dope on the bait. Were you able to catch any yellows? What areas were productive for you?