PDA

View Full Version : Painting Bilge question

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 06:51 AM
Painting Bilge question
Posted by Wizard on Jan-22-04 at 06:17 PM

Anyone painted their bilge and have any advice? My thought (and preference so far) is to repaint it just like it was, the same paint as the color of the boat. Brings me to my first question:
Is the beige/tan colored Blackman paint a special mix?

Possible to get any of the bilgekote type paints in the right color?

Seems bilgkote paints only come in white or gray? (yuck)

Any advice appreciated. I might be painting an empty bilge this Saturday if the motor finished coming out tomorrow.

Glenn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Painting Bilge question
Posted by moo fish on Jan-22-04 at 07:28 PM
In response to message #0

I used an industrial coating 2 part epoxy paint. Many colors including Blackman Biege. Proline paint has epoxies. Power wash the bilge, power wash the bilge, power wash the bilge...Look at all those wires and cables that need to be redone!! Maybe insulate the fish hold while I'm at it.......rt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Painting Bilge question
Posted by Wizard on Jan-22-04 at 07:53 PM
In response to message #1

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-04 AT 07:53 PM (PST)

Where did you get the two-part paint in the Blackman Beige color?
Proline a brand I can get at Marine Exchange or ?

Thanks.

#3, RE: Painting Bilge question
Posted by moo fish on Jan-23-04 at 06:00 AM
In response to message #2

Bought the epoxy at Vista Paint, a regional paint supply house. Proline Marine is a paint manufacturer located in the National Shipbuilding part of town (2646 Main Street) Bonus: Proline is just one block away from SQC!....rt

#4, RE: Painting Bilge question
Posted by Wizard on Jan-24-04 at 06:09 PM
In response to message #3

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-04 AT 06:10 PM (PST)

Well, I had limited hours and had to get moving on this.
Engine is out, here is what the bilge looked like when I got there at 9:00AM

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=67857

Here is how far I got by 3:00PM

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=67858

Some might enjoy seeing the progress. My back hates me. Went with 2-part white that I had on-hand. I've already heard the comment 'white? you're crazy', but oh well.

Glenn

#5, RE: Painting Bilge question
Posted by moo fish on Jan-25-04 at 07:06 AM
In response to message #4

Nothing like painting the bilge to get to know your boat. Next is upside down in the fish hold, epoxy paint, roller and fumes.White is good---easier to find those ss machine screws and hard to ignore any oil / fuel leaks. What did you use to degrease the bilge? And, I just pumped up the grease fitting on the outdrive steering arm. Way back there and probably often ignored......rt

#6, RE: Painting Bilge question
Posted by Wizard on Jan-25-04 at 10:19 AM
In response to message #5

I used a gallon of simple green, a few of those green pads, and lots of elbow grease. What wouldn't fully drain, I wet/dry vacuumed out.
Then sanded every square inch with 60 grit, vacuumed it out, then went over everything again with acetone. That gave me the grip for the new paint (I hope, time will tell), and the acetone not only insured no sanding residue, but got the grease out of the rougher surfaces.

As for the fish hold, you are right. Come summer, that is on my list.

Glenn

#7, RE: Painting Bilge question
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Jan-30-04 at 12:34 PM
In response to message #6

Ahh! This is on my list of "things to do" also.. Glad someone described the cleaning process to us. I'm not looking forward to it but, thanks for the info.

#8, RE: Painting Bilge question - Seal it with Clearcoat
Posted by Saltwaters on Feb-08-04 at 06:10 PM
In response to message #0

Glenn,
Your bilge looks prety good. This is a project I have been meaning to tackle as well. Did you consider going to Home Depot and asking them to match the color for you?

Another suggestion is to clearcoat the entire new paint job. It will make cleaning up much easier and keep that shiny new white paint shiny much longer.

Bill
Bill on Tunacious

#9, RE: Painting Bilge question - Seal it with Clearcoat
Posted by Wizard on Feb-08-04 at 06:45 PM
In response to message #8

I didn't think about the clearcoat idea. Didn't really have the time either. I took one day off work, and worked one weekend day in the boat yard, just getting the bilge repainted with 2-part epoxy (hope it lasts), replacing every screw and zip tie, and took home the Fram fuel filter/water separator and completely stripped/primed repainted. The repair shop had it all back together by Friday and was doing the last cleanup Saturday when I arrived to hook her up to the truck for the sea-trial. Everything went very well.
You can't see much of the bilge now with the engine in there, but here is what it looks like now:

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=69957

(That strainer cap is also orange, the sun reflection made it look oddly yellow)

Started reinstalling the rub rails today down at the dock. Spent the day drilling out broke screws and epoxy filling the holes. Rails have been finished to 240 grit with end-to-end matching/dry fitting/sanding starting tomorrow.

Also worked on the cockpit tackle cabinet today, puting it back together. Friend made me a custom Corian top for it. I refinished the drawer faces while the boat was in the shop. Today we taped off, sanded and put the first of 6 coats of Sikkins (then 3 clear) on the trim wood. Project to pass the time while boat was in the shop. It looks like this now, not done:

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=69960

Towing to San Quintin this Friday for a 4-day weekend. Hope to learn the careful way to launch at high tide and get out that bay. If too tricky, I'll just drink beer and stare at the boat sitting on the trailer - haha

Glenn
"The Reel One"
26' Billfisher