PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Injectors, Help Please

Sleigher
07-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Hi, I've noticed a "tsk-tsk" sound lately from the rear of my engine. I also noticed a small amount of fuel around the base of an injector. There are tiny bubbles seeping around the base of the injector where it seats in the head. It's been at least 500 hrs since the injectors have been looked at so I figure on pulling them all. Do I need the special Volvo tools to do this? I don't have them. Are they expensive? Which parts must be replaced when replacing the injectors? Copper sleeve, seal, tips? Are there any tricks that would help? Thank you in advance.
Peter

NoSlack
07-11-2005, 10:57 AM
The last time I changed my injectors on the AQAD40 was back in 98. I only changed the nozzles(tips), wave washer under the tip and the copper washer between the tip and the injector body. You will need a special tool, its called a welding rod with the tip bent over and flattened. The wave washer is down in the hole and you will need the rod to dig it out.

Some other item you might want to pick up are the copper rings between the fuel fitting that need to be removed to do the job. They ran me a buck or two a piece for the 3 sizes I need on my fuel system. Well worth the $20 in extra parts to know you won't have an air leak when you're done.

Back in 98 it was $12.50 to have a nozzle tested and $15.50 to buy a new one. I'll never waist money on testing them again, just replace everything for $3 more.

Mike

If you get down to San Diego Advanced Diesel Injection is the place to go. 619 232-6452

http://bocaboard.com/data/noslack/injector.JPG

Sleigher
07-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks Mike,
I went ahead and ordered the puller as I read some posts on Boat-Diesel about screwing up the copper sleeve if you just try to wiggle them out.
Did you find a kit for the copper washers or did you buy them separately someplace?
Finding the right little washer can be a real pain.
Thanks again. Someday I hope to have an answer that you need.

Peter

NoSlack
07-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Take one-each of the copper rings with you when you go to a injection shop. They should have a good selection to match you up with.

If you have any trouble finding them, take some measurements(metric) of the ID and OD and I'll pick them up down here and mail them to you.

Mike

Moo Fish
07-12-2005, 05:00 AM
Supposedly one caveat on pulling the injectors......somehow coolant can get into the clyinder when you pull the injector. Posts on BoatDiesel.com say to partially drain the coolant to get the coolant level below the injectors. Anybody confirm or deny this????

RT

DOGHOUSE26
07-12-2005, 08:09 AM
If the sealing bushing comes loose and the copper sleeve comes up from the head, coolant will flow into the cylinder through the gap beween the bottom of the sleeve and the head. I'm glad you ordered the tool. If you let Advanced diesel rebuild your injectors, they usually include all new copper washers for the return lines withe the rebuild.