PDA

View Full Version : Kid trip to LJ

yellowfin1
07-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Loaded up four kids Saturday afternoon for an overnighter in mariners basin followed by a day of fishing for sharkies. Sunday AM making bait was really fun for the kids. Amazing how excited they get just catching bait. Mini macks, sardines and smelt all off the MB jetty. Headed to the WEAX buoy and commenced chumming w/frozen anchovies. Within a few minutes mackerel were boiling all around and again the kids were having a blast catching them on small krocodile spoons. About 25 yards away I spot Mr. Mako scouting the perimeter of our chum slick and it looke bigger than the average pup. Tossed out a lively 1lb mackerel and told the kids to get ready. The shark appeared a few time off in the distance but, would not touch the mackie. Tried slow trolling it through the chum slick and the shark came up behing it but, didn't eat it again. Gave up and headed closer to the beach for a shot at a halibut. No joy there either. Oh well, kids had fun. Funny that when you take the kids out, the boat seems to get more thrashed then a succesful bloody tuna run. Sticky juice, and candy everywhere. I did put them to work cleaning theboat though. Heard of 1 marlin being caught just outside of Pukey. The water 5 miles outside of La Jolla was looking blue and warm with lots of bait.

Scott

Wizard
07-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Sounds like a fun trip with the kids. :)

DOGHOUSE26
07-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Maybe the Makos know they're worth 50 points and they don't want to be "entered". We tried Sunday @ 68 miles; when the mack hit the water the shark went the other way. We did manage a small blue off a paddy which I thought my son would lose a finger while screwing around. My buddy had one eat a vermillion off his gangion but it wouldn't take a mack either. I think there was a shark tourney going on Sunday, maybe he had already been C&Red