PDA

View Full Version : What to do this weekend ?

DOGHOUSE26
07-29-2005, 08:04 AM
Sub par tuna bite in the middle of the Dumper 85nm MB. Kelps along the Finger, few fish and even fewer biters. 43 is dirty, Butterfly is cool, clean, and dead. YFT 50nm below Ensenada. Marlin in a 20 mile area between Airplane and east dumper, sporties hooked a few during the week. IB Sand Bass slowing down, yellows starting to bite around islands. Calicos and slimeys at the kelp beds. Can't believe codding is the only sure thing in July!

Who's going where?

yellowfin1
07-29-2005, 08:28 AM
What up Doghouse?

I 've got friends visiting from Hawaii with a baby, and My sons birthday is Saturday (He wants Star Wars stuff). I told him to limit his list to under $50 (including cake) because I need to be able to pay for boat fuel. Yes I'm kidding. I do hope to get out and drag a couple marlin jigs on the outriggers and some tuna jigs on the flat line on Sunday. I'll probably have to take the friends from out of town which limits me to U.S. waters. I'm thinking in between La Jolla and the ridge. I know the water hasn't been that great out there but, somebody's gotta be out there when it starts happening. Right? The kids had so much fun making bait (so did I) last time out that maybe we'll just fish for mackerel. I think we need to add a new category for mackerel. Anybody second that?

Wherever you go, buenos suerte to you all.

Scott

NoSlack
07-29-2005, 09:38 AM
Installing vinyl windows and painting the house sound like the plan for Saturday. Who's in?

Scott, I may join you on the marlin thing on Sunday. I'll work the lower end of the 9 to down and out of the islands.

Mike

yellowfin1
07-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Great Mike,

We can compare conditions in your area and mine. I finally got some of those outrigger tensioners and hooked them up while in the driveway at home. Must have looked funny seeing the boat with the riggers extended in the driveway. Even had rods and Zukers hooked up to them. My riggers and baseplates are really old and worn out though. I priced some 12' er's made by precision. The Marine Exchange has them for $499.99. The package includes the outriggers, baseplates, and the rigging.

Scott

DOGHOUSE26
07-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Scott,
I know they are a little more money but get the longest ones you can to get out in the cleaner water, either 15' or 18', they are both 2-piece.
If you can wait, each year Precision Marine supports the MBMC Marlin Heart tourney the first weekend in October with a set of riggers valued over $1000; most of the time the winner already has a nice set and they either donatethem back or sell them. Or you could enter and win them ,it's your call. I'm fishing Saturday and I'll try to put out a report on the member's side Sat night.

yellowfin1
07-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks Jeff,

I 'll look for your report Saturday night. Another possible option for outriggers I just spoke to Norm Tananguchi about is to just buy a couple of his lift poles in the 12 or 15' length. Of course this would require you to buy the sleeves and baseplates separately. They are just raw fiberglass brown but, you could get fancy with some LP and they would look just like the expensive pompanettes.

Good luck on the fishing and thanks again for the advise,

Scott

Dos Pelones
07-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Good question. I don't have a clue what to do either. Boats at the Coral and plan on fishing Sunday/Monday, but don't know where. Water is warming and no yft to be found yet. On Mondy we stopped at the Banda bank and metered fish and lamented the fact we didn't have the proper deep water gear to fish the drift, in July. Any reports would be welcome.

Marlin is sounding like a plan at this point. Our last boat had the 15 foot precision riggers with the maximizers. I really liked those and wish I would have kept them. Good luck to everyone out there.

Jorge

Dos Pelones
08-04-2005, 06:59 AM
We did not fish last weekend for the usual reasons, weather and lack of biters, etc. Looks like now it is turning around so off we go to Ensenada. Be back next week.

Good luck to everyone.

chrisc
08-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Well, the word I have was the Albacore and Big Eye bite was pretty good during the last 2 days (real time reports from boats leaving from the Coral). My current plan is to leave the Coral early saturday AM and head for the 1010 an then the 213.

Regards, Chris (knot@work)