PDA

View Full Version : Stump the mechanic

DOGHOUSE26
07-31-2005, 08:54 PM
Manu Lani Rob snapped the threaded end off his rear shaft on the Duoprop causing the Cone, New 4 blade Prop, and washers to sink somewhere between the Airplane and 390 last weekend; he had just installed a new set of props, traveled down 65 nm to the tuna zone, trolled until noon no problems, when he decided to run to another spot he goosed it and the boat could only make 8-10 knots. raised the drive and discovered the missing parts. Limped home on the front prop.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I never have and I wouldn't think you could ever torque the cone down that much to crack the shaft; he said they used a torque wrench. Hopefully a warranty issue.

Knot Now Phil checked out his non functioning RADAR today, took off the cover to discover the entire unit was caked in salt deposits with the array motor frozen ; his unit is mounted up on the arch which leads to this question. Have you ever taken a wave over your arch? Phil's an animal! "Quit your griping, put a life jacket on, and get inside the cabin! There's tuna to be caught!"

It's time for a complete new drive trim pump assembly for the Doghouse, the corrosion has finally taken it's toll. I think Hijole says there are good aftermarkets available, if anyone has any leads please let me know.

NoSlack
07-31-2005, 09:10 PM
When Glenn lost his rear prop, the gears got trashed. Something about not having a load on one set of gears made the whole thing eat it's self up.

I hope Rob comes through without having to replace the whole drive.

Mike

Knot Now
08-01-2005, 07:41 AM
I think Glen got a pump off e-bay for very cheap.

BTW,
I don't remember taking a wave over the top..... I do remember having to put the Isenglass in on a trip back from SCI.... I thought that was rain..... :D :D
Jeff,
Which model radar are you considering....Any suggestions on what to buy...
Phil

DOGHOUSE26
08-01-2005, 08:04 AM
I'm going to stay with Furuno, just not sure which one, it's all a question of money. Power = Range, 2.2 KW or 4KW, my old one was 3KW Not exactly sure about model numbers, but these are the ones on my list:

1722 LCD 7" Mono screen 2.2 KW $1500 - Basic unit 18" Radome decent picture , Watchman feature alarm low power consumption while drifting or at anchor, when hooked up to GPS gives Lat/Lons for targets on cursor. This will do the job defining targets within 1.5 nm collision range. Just not sure about screen size or sunlight view.

1731 CRT 7" Mono Screen 4KW $2200 -Same as my current unit but upgraded with 4KW output. 24" Radome. I think CRT is easier to see than mono LCD, but it uses twice the power. GPS interface with Lat/Lons also.

1732 LCD Color 7" screen 2.2 KW $2800 - same as 1722 but with color, easier to se than mono or CRT.

!822 LCD Mono 10" 4KW $3300 - Nice 10' screen Navnet Capable

1832 Color 10" 4KW $3800 - Nice color Navnet ready more money!

Leaning towards the 1731 but daughter is leaving for college so might have to settle for a 1722, I don't use the RADAR that much anyway.

Wizard
08-01-2005, 01:34 PM
So many things to respond to.

As for the outdrive, yes, I was told running on one prop is what shredded the gears in my outdrive. It's possible.

I have the 1722 Furuno. I don't recommend mono. Mine works fine, and does the job, safely getting me 100 miles and back in the pitch black. But I hate the mono screen. Very hard to read. I'm not even sure color is perfect, I have no experience. If I had a choice, I would go back to the days of monochrome (green on black). But then I'm old school Air Force and loved the old radar we had on our EC-130H.

I did pick up a spare trim/tilt pump on ebay. It came with the bracket and relays. I don't know about any aftermarket.

DOGHOUSE26
08-01-2005, 04:07 PM
That's what the CRT monitor RADARS are and I think they would show up the best, it's what my old one was before the days of LCD. I think color would help but at too high a cost.

Thanks for the imput.