PDA

View Full Version : Steering clyinder for Excalibur

Capt Art
08-09-2005, 09:24 AM
My 23 ft blackman built in 1982 has a leak in the original steering clyinder. Does anybody know if there is a replacement cylinder or parts? Thanks for your help.

DOGHOUSE26
08-09-2005, 09:34 AM
Which cylinder,helm station , fluid reservoir, or actuating ram cylinder @ drive

Capt Art
08-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Actuating ram cylinder @ drive.

hijole
08-09-2005, 08:30 PM
First find out the model of the cylinder you have (The Hijole has a Hynautic, K-13) . The kit for mine was about $45. It's a trick to dissasemble if you do not know how to take it apart but easy once you know. After I rebuilt mine it still didn't work out. I had to replace the main tube and one of the ends because of the corrosion inside so check the inside to make sure you do not have corrosion in the medal inside. That was cheaper then replacing the entire cylinder. I also have seen new cylinders on E-bay. Find out what the price of the new one is before bidding on one on ebay if you decide to go to the internet.
Make sure to get the right kind of fluid, I use Hynautic oil which was about $7 a quart a few years ago.
You will also have to find out how to bleed the system once your done with the rebuild.
One of these day NoSlack will have pictures.