PDA

View Full Version : Local banks 8/9/05

yellowfin1
08-10-2005, 08:23 AM
Launched 4:30 AM from MB. Picked up half scoop of excellent deans with a few small choves mixed in. Tried to make some macks near the jetty but, no luck. Didn't matter because between 12 and 25 miles offshore every kelp I came across (at least 50) held lots of mackerel and small baits possibly sauries. Added at least 10 macks to the tank on the first paddy. Now I 'm ready for marlin. At 12 miles the water cleared up and was blue and 68 degrees. In go the zukers and the Mike Jones special (head knocker). Worked out to the south end of the ridge and the top of the 302 for nada. I did spend over an hour trying to get a huge yellowtail to eat a bait or iron. This thing was very big and just guarding it's paddy. It would not eat a sardine, or mackerel. To my surprise it inhaled a tiny anchovy I tossed at it. Ahhh, now I know the ticket. Dropped down to 15lb line and a #2 hook and pinned on a small chove. That damn fish ignored it! I really need to take up spearfishing! Ended at La Jolla kelp for a couple nice calicos to about 3.5 lbs (released). Sea lions made it difficult to get anything going. Nice day on the water. The dinner table is set on the local banks. If the fish move in this close then with all that bait around I'd think that they will stay a while. We'll see. Oh ya, Jeff Meeker was out there giving it a good try as well. Don't know if he managed anything on the evening bite. Jeff?

Scott

DOGHOUSE26
08-10-2005, 09:35 AM
They moved off the 182, I was hoping you would find them on the inside on your way to La Jolla.