PDA

View Full Version : Tenacious skunked again

yellowfin1
08-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Played hookey yesterday (8/17) and made another attempt at filling the marlin slot. Started at the top of the 9 and worked south towards the canyon. From there went towards the 425. The farther south I went the greener the water was (I was about 4 miles outside the islands at that point). Went west towards the 371 and the water cleared up nicely. Nada there so I went to the 302. Water still nice there. Trolled back to port via the 9 mile bank. Best water (blue, clear and warm) was a couple miles outside the Coronado canyon with lots of dolphin. While trolling across the 9 and on the way in another sportfisher got a double on jigs and tagged one of them. They got it in the exact area which I just dragged my zukers over.

Good luck BOCA,

Scott

NoSlack
08-18-2005, 08:34 PM
What speed do you troll the jigs? Some guys say optimum in 8-8.5 knots for the marlin. If I get moving that fast, I put out so much white water out the back there is no way a fish could see the jigs.

For my boat the water cleans up at 7.5 to 7.7 knots and that's when I get bit. Play with your speed next time you're out. You have nothing to loose, well maybe a jig or two to the makos.

Mike

yellowfin1
08-19-2005, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the tip Mike. I have also been adjusting my speed to try to acheive that magic clear wake speed. What you are saying is exactly what I'm seeing too. When I'm at 8-8.5 I'm also putting out quite a bit of foam astern (depending on the seas and course). I've also cut it down to 7.5-7.8 knots. I'm going to try and sneak out in the afternoons that I don't have kids soccer or Karate or flag football (only leaves 1 afternoon a week now) and drag lures in the local area. Funny how fishing tuna is really quite easy compared to the marlin. As you know with tuna all you need to do is get in the area and troll just about anything (most of the time) and you get bit. The marlin really tests your knowledge.

Later,

Scott