PDA

View Full Version : KAD43

Casey
08-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Is anyone running a KAD43/DP-E on their Billfisher? If so what props are you using? I am currently running C5's. I get full RPM but I think I may be cavitating. I called Blackman and the said to use C2's if I go stainless and A3's for aluminum. It seems I may be over prop'd. But it sure seems like C2's wouild be under prop'd. Any help?
Casey

Knot Now
08-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Casey,
Need to know which gear ratio you have. The DP-E has 4 ratios....most likely yours is either a....1:1.68....1:1.78....1:1.95... on a DP-D the ratio is on a plate near the pivot (helmet).

Glen has a KAD43 with a DP-D with 1:1.78 gears and is using A-4's ....I have a 41P (30 less HP) and I am using A-3's with 1:1.78 gears.....Many of the other 41s are using 1:1.95 gears and A-4's

Casey
08-22-2005, 09:16 AM
As far as I know I have 1.78:1 gears. I have sets of A3's and A4's that have been reworked but are in only fair condition. I guess I will try them out again to check on performance. I'm not quite sure what my thinking was when I went to the C5's but I'm pretty sure that is too much prop although I can still get to 3900 RPM. My thinking now is that I should probably be running C3's. I like the performance of the stainless props. They seem to stay in balance much better so I think I will stay with them. I'll try to check the outdrive to verify the gear ratio but I'm pretty sure I have the 1.78:1 setup.

Wizard
08-22-2005, 10:45 AM
I recommend you go out of your way to fill the fuel tank, fill the bait tank(s), load up 4-5 people and some gear to similate 100lbs of ice and all gear, and go out in at least 2-3 foot bumpy seas to see if you are going to like the props you settle in upon. I can run A5s over 3900 RPMs with 3/4 fuel, one person, and no bait. But the motor really has to push to perform close on A4s fully loaded. I almost could even go down to A3s if I didn't want the speed coming home when tank is half empty, bait is gone, ice is melted.

As for A or B vs. C series. I really wanted to go with C series as well. But the B props I used last year cavitated sometimes in quartering swells. The A series with 4-blade rear hardly ever cavitates and runs so much better. C series only comes in 3-blade. I would like to try C if they had a 4-blade rear.

Casey
08-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I will put my A4's back on and rethink the situation. About 70% of the time I'm running a light load but I think I should change my thinking and setup for a heavy load. I keep the boat in the water most of the year so changing props is not a simple task. In the mean time I have to replace my helm pump. And the fun goes on.

Wizard
08-23-2005, 09:58 AM
I keep the boat in the water most of the year so changing props is not a simple task.

Do you have a trailer? I used to think changing props was a big deal when I first got my boat. Mike (NoSlack) even had to help me cut off the first set of props since they weren't greased on a regular schedule. Now I pull the props off all the time to replace zinc and regrease. I just do it on the ramp in about 10 minutes on the trailer.

Are you slipped in MB or SD bay? If in MB, I will be putting my boat back in my slip in the next couple of weeks. You could run your boat over onto my trailer for a quick pull and prop change. Assuming your existing props come right off.

Casey
08-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the offer! I'm located in King Harbor (Redondo Beach) and do have a trailer. At King Harbor they only have a hoist so I try to limit trips in and out. I can change my props from the swim step if I am carefull not to drop anything or fall in. I will be fishing a 2 1/2 day out of Fishermans landing Thursday through Saterday so my plan is to try to change props, zincs and my helm pump on Sunday. I'll report back on the prop change so we can all learn a little.
Casey