PDA

View Full Version : Installing shift cable

CAPTAIN HOOK
08-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Hey Guys- Anyone out there install a new shift cable to a 280 od and a morse MT2 or MT3?? I have very sticky cable with a tear in the plastic housing, so I am thinking I should do a proactive replacement. Anything to look for or gotchas out there would be great. I have no idea how to remove the cable from the control box either. I think I can figure out the other end but have not been able to look at yet do to siezed screws in the outdrive cover. Thanks!

hijole
08-25-2005, 10:14 PM
The cables I bought were sold by the length. The length was stamped several places on the red plastic outer surface. If it is not stamped on yours just measure the length in feet and buy like that.

If you have a lower station you will have 2 cables from the top to the lower station and one to the engine and one to the OD.

Mine is removed easily underneath the black and red shifts. (not sure what they are called). I tied a piece of dacron to fish the cable back once I pulled it out. Once insalled it just has to be adjusted to shift into reverse, neutral and forward.
I think it helps to grease the cable at the OD end before it is connected. The saltwater does affect the cable from properly sliding back and forth.