PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a set of B3 or B5 duoprops?

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 06:59 AM
Anyone have a set of B3 or B5 duoprops?
Posted by Wizard on Feb-21-04 at 08:07 PM

I'm taking off (probably tearing off) my current set, appears I spun the back prop. Plan is to buy another identical set, but while I'm doing all of this, I would like to check out the performance on B3s or even B5s for my boat.
Also, I'm still not clear about the reasons for A series (4x3), and B series (3x3). Some say A for diesel, B for gas. Some web sites say the other way around. Check out the following link which details the engine, gear ratio, prop recommendations. I have the KAD42 motor, only listed in the B series section. But a note on the KAD motors says C series (Stainless) is recommended. Hmmmmm....

http://www.penta.volvo.se/files/45uk2001.pdf

Glenn
"The Reel One"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Anyone have a set of B3 or B5 duoprops?
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Feb-21-04 at 09:24 PM
In response to message #0

Which prop did you tear up, the 4 or 3 blade and were they A4s?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Anyone have a set of B3 or B5 duoprops?
Posted by Wizard on Feb-21-04 at 09:52 PM
In response to message #1

The back prop (larger) on my existing B4s is loose, wiggles on the hub. I can only assume it's spun or close to it. The B4s are 3 blade back and 3 blade front. But, I can't get either off since they haven't been greased every 3ish months as everyone advises. So I'm going to try a gear puller tomorrow, or just get out my die grinder, fire up the air compressor, and start cutting.
Glenn

#3, RE: Anyone have a set of B3 or B5 duoprops?
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Feb-22-04 at 10:35 AM
In response to message #2

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-04 AT 10:44 AM (PST)

You might try a little heat but be carefull not to damage the seals. I have a near new set of B4s for sale which came on my Searay gas repower but I had to go down to B2s to get the right RPMs if your interested. I think the gassers are 3X3, early diesels were single 3 blade, and most diesels 4X3. I think the only difference between A and B props is the 3 or 4 blades on the rear prop; I think the pitch is the same.

#4, RE: Anyone have a set of B3 or B5 duoprops?
Posted by Wizard on Feb-22-04 at 12:53 PM
In response to message #3

Doghouse,
You have a PM. Let's talk about that set of B4s you have for sale.

Mike helped me get my old ones off this morning, on to the next step now.

Thanks.

Glenn

#5, RE: Anyone have a set of B3 or B5 duoprops?
Posted by NoSlack on Feb-22-04 at 01:15 PM
In response to message #4

I sent the picture to your work e-mail address. If you want them at home let me know were to send them.
mike

#6, RE: Anyone have a set of B3 or B5 duoprops?
Posted by Wizard on Feb-22-04 at 02:25 PM
In response to message #5

I forwarded them from work to home already Mike. Thanks again for everything.
Glenn

jimboat@aeromarineresearc
12-13-2005, 06:28 AM
Does anyone have the 45uk2001.pdf report? It does not seem to be on the VP web site any longer? Could really use it!

/jimboat

Wizard
12-13-2005, 05:52 PM
I can't find it anyplace online anymore. I may have a printed copy that I can scan back into electronic next week when I get back in the office.

NoSlack
12-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Refresh my memory Jim. Was that the document that showed the different engines, gear raitos, props and what speed you should get?

I have a hard copy of that and I could scan to it pdf when I get back to work.

Mike