PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 41B HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Mac Attack
09-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Last time out on the Mac Attack bilge alarms sounded, lifted the enige hatch (wow) 8 inches of water. 56 miles away from home. Reached home safely (I carry a extra sump pump). Upon inspection I notice the exhaust elbow shot from corrosion, along with the exhaust pipe that bolts to the transom shield. How do you reach the #*$#@# exhaust pipe bolts at the inside of the transom shield. I can see one side (I think). What else should I replace while everything is torn apart. Oh!! 1985 Billfisher 41B-duo-prop. Parts purchasing advise???

Thanks Again
Mike

Moo Fish
09-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Not a clue on the exhaust pipe bolts. But I can check the 41 boneyard for an exhaust elbow (exhaust manifold to the turbo)....maybe even the exhaust pipe to the stern drive.....RT

Mac Attack
09-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Thank you

Not sure how much new parts from Volvo will be. But I can only imagine $$$$$$$$.

Mac Attack
09-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Just quoted $1000.00 in parts + shipping to replace elbow and exhaust pipe.
From Mcdonnell Marine.

FLUSH YOUR ENGINES BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT ELSE CAN YOU DO TO PREVENT THIS????

THANKS MIKE

NoSlack
09-06-2005, 08:11 PM
If the exhaust tuse on the 41 is simular to the set up of the 40, you can replace the rubber belows with a 3" exaust hose. Cut the hose long enough to pull over the rotten end of the tube.

I was going to replace my exhaust tube a few years back untill they quoted me $600 for the part and an engine removal to get to the bolts. I cleaned up the end of the tube, put a fresh coat of paint on it and slid the bellows down far enough to get a bite on the tube. So far so good. It's been 2 years on that "K-Mart" fix without any problems.

On the 40's, they say you can cut as much as 3" off the tube before the hose trick won't work anymore.

As for the exhaust elbow off the turbo, bite the bullet and get a new one. That's a bad part to have fail and let water in the exhaust side of things.

Mike

http://www.bocaboard.com/data/512/4exhaust.jpg

Wizard
09-06-2005, 08:35 PM
I think you are in for an engine pull to get access to those bolts. Not sure if you can extend your issues a couple of years with a hose. :(

hijole
09-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Not sure on the elbow but Volvo makes a plastic sleeve that is glued to the end of the pipe. The sleeve is supposed to protect the end of the pipe close to the exhaust elbow from corrosion. The kit comes with epoxy.
I had it but took it off. I had it on for awhile before the exhaust ate the epoxy glue and I had water coming through the sleeve. My fault.
I was told to clean the pipe better and that it should hold. I think I'll be checking it out soon.

Mac Attack
09-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Thanks for all the info. The corrosion on the pipe was underneath the plastic sleeve. It looks like I could either try to use a epoxy putty to mend the few places where the corrosion has eaten thru the pipe, or cut off the effected area and strech the bellow type hose over it. Corrosion is within 3'' of the top of the pipe. Has anyone heard of or used Chem Weld Epoxy putty?

Thanks Again
Mike

hijole
09-07-2005, 09:27 PM
I wonder how many of us have the same softspot ready to blow open?

Mac Attack
09-08-2005, 04:42 PM
I talked to Paul @ McDonnell Marine who says the plastic sleeve that slips over the exhaust is not a volvo part, and he has never heard of it.
Any one know any different?

Mike

hijole
09-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Definetly is a Volvo part. I'll check the part number when I get home.

hijole
09-09-2005, 07:56 PM
You are in luck, I found a 1998 bill for $27. The Volvo part number was
Kit no. 3581114 (3.5" exhaust pipe)
Kit no. 3581115 (4" exhaust pipe)

It is called a, Repair kit for corroded exhaust pipe 31, 41 engines

Mine has the 3.5" pipe

Mac Attack
09-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks, I order one up today. Thanks again everyone for your imput.

Mike
Mac Attack