PDA

View Full Version : Stardard Horizon Chartplotter review

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:01 AM
#0, Stardard Horizon Chartplotter review
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Oct-28-03 at 11:07 AM

This might help someone make a decision on which chartplotter to get.
I recently wanted to upgrade my old Lowrance chartplotter 1000 to a more modern system. I had about $1000 to do this. I researched some of the Garmin and Standard Horizon fixed color and B&W chartplotters as well as the Lowrance combo Chartplotters/Fishfinders. For a more in depth review of chartpplotters see the November issue of Sea magazine.

After narrowing my choices down to the Garmin 182 and the Standard Horizon 172, I went with the Standard Horizon 172C. Mostly because West Marine had one which had a damaged box and they were selling it for about $50 less than original price.

Differences:

Garmin 182 comes in both Color and B&W versions. It has approximately 6.5x 5" display and seems pretty easy to operate and install. It has a bulit in worldwide map covering most coast lines. This built in map just displays the coast rather generically. To get the excellent detail of the coast and harbors including the most recent notice/local notice to mariners you have to purchase the Garmin Blue Chart chip which costs about $140-$180. When inserted the Eastern Pacific (Central Cal to Cabo San Lucas) displays excellent graphics on bottom contours, navigation data including warning areas, buoy data, and even pre-programmed tide predictions for most West Coast fishing needs. The B&W version looked pretty good and had a good contrast and brilliance feature allowing you to adjust for various light conditions. The color version looked excellent and is also adjustable for various light conditions. The West Marine price for the color version was $999 w/o tax and not including the Blue Chart chip. Estimate price with tax and chart chip is $1300. The B&W version is about $300 less. Both come with an external antenna and no mounts.

Standard Horizon 172:
This chartplotter basically has all the same stuff as the Garmin, except it uses the C-Map chip instead of the Blue Chart chip. In talking to several people it seems that these two chip manufacturers incorporate the same info into their chips. They looked almost identical when comparing S.D. harbor displays. The one item I thought was different was that the C-Map also displayed various port info icons which when selected show facilities info like fuel, lodging, shower, laundry, boat repair and other services locations. Not sure if the Blue Chart shows them. The Standard Horizon model listed for $799 at West Marine, but the C-map chip (also from Point Arguelo to Cabo San Lucas) was a little more expensive ($200). It was easy to mount, and looks and performs really well. I am happy with it.

Hope this helps someone make a decision if they are lookng for a chartplotter in the $1000-1300 price range. There are also several other less expensive brands and models out there which probably accomplish the same basic capability and some which are way more expensive and incorporate ports for Fishfinders, radars, temperature senders, and even visual monitoring systems as well as interface with auto pilots. Wow, technology has come a long way.

If you'd like to take a look at the one mounted on the Tenacious, feel free to stop by and check it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Stardard Horizon Chartplotter review
Posted by Tuba8 on Oct-28-03 at 11:57 AM
In response to message #0

Scott we have been looking at the new lowrance unit combo GPS depth sounder the screen is 11 inch and color. Too mush money 2800.00 we contacted lowrance to see if they would sell the head only we have the transducers and Gps ant. they told us maybe in the future but not now they cant keep up with demand for the hole package. Good luck with yours it will be a big step up from what you had.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Stardard Horizon Chartplotter review
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Oct-29-03 at 07:54 AM
In response to message #1

Russ,
I have a buddy who has the Lowrance X-16 and he really likes it. But, like you said, with Lowrance you have to buy some type of conversion kit to make the unit a GPS Plotter? I forgot how the guy explained it to me but, it sounded hokey. Good luck.

#3, RE: Stardard Horizon Chartplotter review
Posted by Tuba8 on Oct-29-03 at 08:49 AM
In response to message #2

Yes Scott the x16 is sold as a sounder and the gps is extra I am not crazy about lowrance as a company but the unit now that it has the chip is great easy to us with incredable detail. It will not work with my auto pilot the refresh rate is one time a second and the auto pilot needs 3 time a second. The new unit will work 3,000,00 is way to mush money in my opion what you have is great and the price is nice.

#4, RE: Stardard Horizon Chartplotter review
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Nov-04-03 at 10:28 PM
In response to message #3

I am really thinking hard about the Garmin 2006 Color unit but my eyes wish for the 10" screen of the 2010 but @ $2000 it's a little more than I want to spend. I've had Lowrance Global Map 1000 and 2000; I like the C Map chips! The Lowance has Event Markers to mark kelps, bites, buoys, etc. without giving them waypoint numbers which doesn't eat up your memory. The Garmin does not. I feel naked without a good plotter; they can help you catch just as much fish as a fish finder can. Does anyone have a Garmin 2006 or 2010?

#5, RE: Stardard Horizon Chartplotter review
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Nov-05-03 at 09:47 AM
In response to message #4

Jeff,
The Standard Horizon 172C also has the event marker which is separate from waypoints. However, the screen is only 6".