PDA

View Full Version : Deck Plates

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:03 AM
Deck Plates
Posted by moo fish on Mar-01-04 at 11:49 AM

After the rains, popped the deck plates (fuel shut off valves)and found water in one of the saddle tank compartments. Bummer....Not much water, maybe a sponge full or two. But the questions are: Are the plates supposed to be water tight? If so,any tricks to get a water tight seal? Are the saddle tank compartments and main tankk compartments sealed or is there a weep hole into the bilge (not on my boat)? I am working on a blower to ventilate the main and saddle tank compartments. Everybody go pop their deck plates and give me a report........rt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Deck Plates
Posted by Wizard on Mar-01-04 at 01:54 PM
In response to message #0

No need to run out and open mine. Not sure what you mean by deck plates, but I also had a few sponge fulls of water in one of my two saddle compartments after the rains. I am planning on designing (engineering) a watertight seal for both saddle compartment covers, and the engine hatch, someday.
There are no weep holes between my saddle compartments into the engine compartment. I can also state, there are no weep holes between the little compartments under the cabinets into the centerline under floor in the cuddy. The only weep I know of us the floor drain weeps under the fish hold, under the tank, and then into the engine compartment. I mention that because I got water in those other compartments once, and had to sponge it all out.

Glenn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Deck Plates
Posted by noquestion25 on Mar-01-04 at 07:09 PM
In response to message #0

I think your boat is a 23 if it is, yes the deck plates leak. I usually silicone grease the o rings that helps a little. Also I usually place a small cotton towell on top of the tank under the plate. No there is no drain holes or Limber holes as they are appropriatley termed. When I purchased my 23 one of the deck plates was bad and there was about 5 gallons of water in that side, the foam was wet as was everything else in the saddle compartment. Well 5 years later it is dry as bone, You need to be super diligant with keeping that stuff dry. Remember that towells will become mildewy. In the summer months keep those deckplates off when the boat is stored. If you need more info on water inside the hull shoot me an e-mail back.
NoQuestion Aka(Josh)

#3, RE: Deck Plates
Posted by Wizard on Mar-01-04 at 07:52 PM
In response to message #2

Mine is a 26' Billfisher, so I guess I was mentioning a different issue (compartments beside the engine and engine cover doesn't seal 100%). You guys were talking about 23'ers. Nevermind.

#4, RE: Deck Plates
Posted by moo fish on Mar-02-04 at 06:01 AM
In response to message #3

Wiz: the deck plates are over the fuel tank shut off valves. My 23 has three-the main tank, and two saddle tanks. The 26 should have a similiar arrangement.
Josh: Not happy with the prospect of water standing in the fuel tank compartments. I have a portable blower into the main fuel tank access plate but just can't see those compartments drying out. I am thinking about drilling limber holes in the bulkhead between the engine compartment and the saddle tanks.

rt on the Moo Fish

#5, RE: Deck Plates
Posted by noquestion25 on Mar-02-04 at 02:28 PM
In response to message #4

RT, Dont drill holes because your fish hold will splatter water as well as evaporate into that space. As for drying out, give it some time with those plates off and it will dry. You will notice that there is a space between the tank and the wall of the fish hold. Get a small length of plastic tubing and you could get down into the bottom of the compartment and suck the water out. You could bet if you had water on the top of the tank, the compartment has water in the bottom. Is your boat diesel or gas? I swithched to a diesel and now I never even use the saddel tanks. Why do you have the blower? Were you getting excessive vapor build up?
No Question (Josh)

#6, RE: Deck Plates
Posted by moo fish on Mar-03-04 at 07:09 AM
In response to message #5

After two days of my head in the bilge and arms stuck between the deck and fuel tanks....Eureka!! A bad gasket on the saddle tank fuel deck filler was allowing deck water to leak into the saddle tank compartment and collect at the deck plate access.... recaulked and rescrewed the fuel deck filler. I have a 100cfm shaded pole blower mounted on a piece of plywood that I use to ventilate the fuel compartments. Placed on the main fuel access hole, the blower will push air out the sadddle tank access holes. I run the blower for an hour or so just for drill and to dryout condensation.....rt

#7, RE: Deck Plates
Posted by noquestion25 on Mar-03-04 at 05:38 PM
In response to message #6

RT, Oh yea forgot to mention that the vents will leak water into the compartments as well. Make sure that the dryer vent hose comes to the top of the vent box. Also make sure that the box does not have any cracks in it, it well leak there as well. Secret Spot also has some insight on leaking decks, vents, and deck plates. Maybe he could post some of the problems that had with his 23.
No question (aka Josh)

#8, RE: Deck Plates
Posted by Secret Spot on Mar-03-04 at 10:25 PM
In response to message #7

The problem I had with my 23 Billfisher was probably a result of a number of issues; leaking deck plates, leaking bait tank plumming, and water entering thru the vents. All three fuel tanks had chronic corrosion.
So you can understand the seriousness of the issue (saturated foam surrounding fuel tanks), I will describe the events leading to my discovery. I was down from the point approx. 50 and out about 40 from land. Just about 45 min from first day light, my buddy and I had just limited on albies. When putting the last fish in the bag, I got a big whiff of gasoline. When I lifted up the engine cover (while the boat was running) I found 4-5 inches of fuel in my bildge. Needless to say, today I feel very fortunate to be alive.

Once I got the Secret Spot back home, I pulled the bait tank and the fuel tank deck access panel. The foam was completely saturated with fuel and the tank had deep corrosion in many different places. After seeing what the center tank looked like and not wanting to take any chances, I made the decision to remove the deck and see what was going on with the saddle tanks. I had a couple of rust spots on the deck where it had delaminated, so the decision to pull the entire deck came easier. Glad I pulled the deck, the saddle tanks were showing signs of advanced corrosion as well.

In any event, I wound up pulling all three tanks, gelcoated the entire area, installed just one center tank 3/16" aluminum @ 105 gal (hung from the stringers so it would dry if exposed to moisture, created much needed storage where the saddle tanks were, used stainless steel screws, glassed both the top & bottom of the deck, taped channels on deck parameter and engine box, epoxy high build & sand, 3 coats of 2 part LP, and finished it off with a Bomar deck plate for the sending unit & 2 Bomar deck hatch covers for the newly created storage areas.

There was alot more detail involved with installing the fuel tank (similar to David Pascoe's method) that I would be more than happy to explain if anyone gets into a similar situation and wants to hear about it. Just give me a hollar @ cell 310 210-8880.

Larry

P.S. As a result of my experience, if it is not raining, my deck plate and hatches are popped open to allow everything to get air and dry.

#9, RE: Deck Plates
Posted by Wizard on Mar-04-04 at 00:00 AM
In response to message #8

This discussion has me thinking.
Can any of you out there with 26' Billfishers explain tank access please? Remove the bait tank gives access to? Do we have foam? How is the tank mounted? Seems water drains under it (and under the fish hold)in order to flow from the front to the back into the bilge.

Glenn
"The Reel One"

#10, RE: Deck Plates
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Mar-04-04 at 10:19 AM
In response to message #9

Glenn,
I have my bait tank off now on the Tenacious. My boat looks just like yours and is an 84' model. When you take the tank off, you have access to the top of the tank and fuel sender as well as the plumbing for the bait system. It's still hard to see under or around the tank. I cannot see if there is water trapped in there or not. If you would like to see what it looks like, youi are welcome to stop by and check it out. Give me a call (858) 229-2261 (cell).

Later,