PDA

View Full Version : Front Oil Seal (or ??)

Wizard
10-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Anyone had any experience with a leaking front oil seal on their 41 or 42? My season is over. I've got a couple of gallons of oil in the bilge. Had to pull the boat back out of the water for the season.

Could be a pan or something else, but oil is spinning off the front crank pulley, so I'm guessing it's the oil seal. Anyone had any experience with this kind of thing? Step one is to pull the outdrive off, and motor out. But where to go from there?

No more tourny points. BBQ time.

hijole
10-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Are you sure it's the oil seal on the crank?
Could it be oil flowing to the front that starts somewhere else?

When I took the enging out several years ago I found that a few of the small bolts on the pan were loose. A few of them had the heads rounded off where I had to use vice-grips to grab them. If thats the problem maybe you will find a few bolts that just need to be tightened.
There are some new tools that can grab a rounded head that might work.
I think a good size mirror under the engine will show you the area that may be the problem if it's not the seal.

Wizard
10-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the response.. I'm taking the boat back into the shop this weekend. They plan to look underneath and see if they can see a problem with the pan first. If not, pull the motor and look at the seals. At least I'm not taking it to an non-Volvo place.. Never got in good with Blackman's, so taking it back to Steve at Nielsen Beaumont.. this guy knows Volvos. We will see. Love to do my own work and had a forklift lined up for this weekend to pull it myself.. but going to give Steve a shot.

Was told the pans are Stainless on these motors... so unlikely it's a hole in pan. Was hoping for more replies here if true or not.. but only about 7 of us that reply in a month on BOCA anymore. Too bad considering the boats are made here. Marketing isn't happening.

hijole
10-12-2005, 06:37 AM
I wasn't thinking of a hole in the pan. I was thinking more of the pan being loose. I think mine is flat. It doesn't have the neopreme gaskets in front and back as do cars.
Awhile back a person had a leaky oil cooler. The cooler could have oil travel down to the pulley and sling oil around.

Moo Fish
10-14-2005, 03:15 PM
A couple of gallons is a lot of oil in the bilge....is it all oil?? There is a dye and black light that can be used to trace oil leaks ( ala the Ford PSD's). The intercooler supposedly has a weep hole that drips oil. I checked the pans on the 41's with a magnet--they are steel. I have pans, oil coolers, intercoolers, etc. that may fit......RT

hijole
10-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Rich, are we getting the avacados ready for the BBQ or just guacamole for the tacos?
That much oil is lots and lots of oil. I would think you can probably see it coming out. I'm anxious to know the culprit.

hijole
10-16-2005, 05:51 PM
So what was it?

Wizard
10-16-2005, 06:53 PM
I just dropped the boat off at the yard this past Friday. I don't expect they will call and tell me what they found for a few days, when they get around to starting on the job. But I will post and let you know.

Sleigher
10-17-2005, 12:47 PM
I have a leak from the front of the injection pump that dribbles down the back and front.
Could be from there.
I haven't figured out how tough it is to pull the injection pump yet. Looks easy enough but I hear the horror stories about getting it re-timed.
The only thing worse than taking it to a shop to get it fixed is taking to a shop after I tried fixing it. At least that is what I imagine.

Peter

Wizard
10-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Got a call today from the shop, motor is out. Found out the engine oil leak was the oil cooler, corroded right through. About $2,000 just for a new cooler, is the quote, not to mention the labor. :mad:

NoSlack
10-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Give Sea-n-Ski in Costa Mesa a call. They have some kad42 parts on ebay and might have a used cooler at the shop.

Mike

hijole
10-27-2005, 08:25 PM
Too bad about the cooler. Where was the corrosion?
Since you have the engine out what else gets to be new again?

Moo Fish
10-28-2005, 06:16 AM
I've got oil coolers---the engines are 41a's but the cooler may fit.....RT

Wizard
10-28-2005, 08:52 AM
My engine is a KAD42, but thanks for the offer.

Just debating if I should pick up the boat from the shop, drop the motor in the back of the truck, and drag it all home for a long winter project, or have them fix it all. If I drag it all home, I could take the time to find a used cooler, and work on other details, that a shop wouldn't do.

hijole
10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
What is the deal you made to get the engine out?

I like the idea to get the engine home and work on it and the things inside.

Wizard
10-31-2005, 11:41 PM
Not much of a deal. Shop took it out (for a pretty price already) and ran it on the bench to find the problem. They will do all the work, but the oil cooler alone is $2,000. So I found another entire motor I'm buying. Bring the boat home from the shop with the motor out, take the other motor and put it in, spare parts galore, and can take my time cleaning the bilge, repainting again, cleaning all hardware or replacing, installing flowscan and in the water freshwater flush kit, etc.

hijole
11-01-2005, 06:15 AM
Don't forget the exhaust tube that connects to the exhaust bellows.
If you decide to replace it make sure to install one of those plastic sleeves to protect the top.
How are the rams?

If you don't want to mention how much the engine was to take out you can tell me at the BBQ.