PDA

View Full Version : Fishing La Jolla 10 Oct

yellowfin1
10-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Fished the green cool water off of La Jolla kelp yesterday with my 8 yr old (Ryan). Made about 15 pieces of mackerel and headed to the rocky ledges off of the LJ kelp for another attempt at the grand daddy lingcod. Ryan nabs a beautiful vermillion on a small mega bait and I dropped a mack on the dropper loop for a couple of raked baits. On the fourth or fifth drop I get a solid hookup and it feels like the right kind (ling cod). Yep it's a ling cod. Unfortunately it was only 22 inches so it was of course released. Didn't bother to weigh it since it was not legal size. After an hour or so the sea lions became unbearable so offshore we went. Water was very green (almost yellow!). Finally at 12 miles it cleared up and turned blue although a little milky looking and up to 68 degrees. Trolled around for an hour or so with no luck. Did see 1 jumper in the area 12 nm west of LJ. That was it for the day. I'd like to get a crew together for a Thursday trip offshore (west butterfly maybe?). Anyone interested on helping out with the fuel costs?

Scott