PDA

View Full Version : One more attempt for the season

yellowfin1
10-14-2005, 08:24 AM
Launched late yesterday AM from MB and found out after 5 minutes that the high temp alarm works real well. Unfortunately, by the time the temp alarm sounds it's too late for your impeller. Broke out the spare and cleared out the intake hose (impeller pieces) while at anchor. Blew out the intake system to make sure all was clear. Put it all together and was under way again. Quick stop at the harbor entrance for all the mini macks you want then off towards the purple water being reported via the chlorophyl charts near the 118 line. Water at the south end of the ridge was 67 degrees and blue although a little cloudy. The temp drops off alittle as you go west. Turned south and put the jigs in. Whole lotta nothing out there until I got closer to the East Butterfly where I started metering lotsa bait balls and what looked like bigger game fish. Still nothing on the jigs. Baited a few nice paddies to no avail. Heard a couple boats (Bravo-Six and another name?) that went the distance. One fished at 120 miles for 1 skippy and 1 small YFT. I believe Bravo Six reported getting 2 YFT. One was near the 1010 in 66.5 degree water. He said it was a bigger model (25 lb class). I gave up and headed in at 3:00 PM to make my last attempt at a ling cod. At 5:45 I make my first drop w/dropper loop and mackerel and get hammered but, ended up pulling up a shredded bait. Next drop I finally get a legal ling cod (5 lbs)!!!! That only took 5 minutes so I feel that I've got a shot at a bigger one. Several drops and got hammered several times only to bring up two juveniles. Watched a beautiful sunset and headed home. Nice day on the water. This tournament is great because if you want to do well you have to fish species which you normally might not target which introduces you to new kinds of fishing in SOCAL and makes you fish year round. I have never targeted threshers or marlin but, certainly will now. Mike said... "It's all about time on the water". He's partially right. You have to have half of a clue as well. Mike certainly does. I call him Aquaman because I think that he's figured out a way to communicate with fish! A few of you certainly spent the time out there and did well too. Jeff and Phil put in an outstanding showing as did Glenn and a couple others. I'm done for the season. Time to compplete maintenance and start the painting, and varnishing again. Will post the picture of ling soon. The best I could do this year is an even 400 points. There are still a couple weeks left before we close down the points register. Go get em!

Later,
Scott

hijole
10-14-2005, 07:57 PM
good report. I hate that alarm sound.
I installed a 12v connector on the dash for a spot light. I use it more for connecting a remote light from Pep Boys used as a map light out of a cigarette lighter. It has a flexable body that allows you to bend it so the light is not in your face. It also forces me to keep a constant look at that gauge.