PDA

View Full Version : Long range Blackman trip planning

yellowfin1
10-17-2005, 08:09 AM
I know, I know it's a long way off but, I wanted to put a bug in everyone's ear about a trip I will make next season and would be much more comfortable if there were a couple boats along with me. A Blackman flotilla we'll call it. Ok, I was talking with the son in law of the former owner of the Harvey-B (Blackman). He tells me that the family (Binghams) have made the Benitos/Cedros trip a couple times in their 26 billfisher. He said that they (Harvey-B) had a larger fuel capability than the standard Billfisher (225 gal I think?). But he said that Bahia Tortuga was a very well equipped facility which he's never seen run out of diesel fuel. This guy runs a large private sport fisher and makes the run down there often. The plan is to launch from S.D., top off at Coral (Ensenada), spend the night at San Martin Island, then make the run straight to Tortuga for fuel the next day. I think that I'll bring a 20 gal fuel bladder as well. I plan to fish the area for a couple days and surf Natividad as well. I'm putting this out there as a planning notification and will bring charts, to the BOCA picnic to discuss. I plan to make the trip in August or September. Of course we'll take a good close look at the weather for potential tropical storm development before departing. All in all I think the entire trip will require 11 days. Three for the transit down, five for the fishing/surfing trip amd three transiting back. Fuel for thought!

Scott

Time Out
10-17-2005, 08:10 PM
Scott

Sounds great maybe make a San martin run as a shake down trip.

Dan And Ann have been talking about your trip maybe they would make the run.

Russ

DOGHOUSE26
10-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Check your browser,You must have us confused with the Riviera Board !

That's pretty far Scott, too many things can happen too far out and S.O.L. is not a good feeling! Coast Guard is at least 2-4 hrs by air, 8-12 hrs by sea. No los tienen "Vessel Assist"!

The fishing up here is generally too good in Aug/Sept to leave it for something else farther away with fuel prices the way they are today.

You might consider the Mag Bay trip in October/early November; Same or bigger size tuna you would have at Benitos in August/ wahoo on the ridge, dodos, blue and striped marlin, plus all the inshore species inside the bay. Trailer down in 2 days, fish a week, and trailer back in 2 days. More boats/assistance in Mag Bay than Benitos/ Turtle Bay.

Going down in so-so weather can be done in a 26, but coming back uphill is a whole different ballgame, there aren't a whole lot of places to hide in case the offshore wind begins to howl for 3-5 days.

Pick your poison: Instant death in a head-on with a Mexican semi or 1500# bull on Highway 1 ; or 2-6 day slow death treading water wondering if the currents are going to take you SW towards Tahiti where every night you have to paddle like mad dodging freighters in the night with feet chewed up by molas or drifting NW towards Guadalupe and becoming part of the summer white shark extravaganza !

hijole
10-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Doghouse, are we getting old. Scott's a youngster that's the reason he bought the boat.
I like $80 a day for a panga cerveza and surf perch.

DOGHOUSE26
10-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Add the fish tacos in Guererro Negro!

yellowfin1
10-18-2005, 08:38 AM
Jeff,
You are right. There could be some danger involved. But, then again we could get waxed while driving home today too.
I know Mag Bay is a great alternative I just don't like the part about trailering a big arse boat over those mountains south of Ensenada with winding twisting roads, 300' drop offs, no guard rails, and big trucks coming at you with less than 2' of clearance.
With proper planning (HF Comms, epirb, and life raft) and another boat or two along the trip could be epic and very safe. San Clemente Island and Todos Santos are great adventures but, for me it's time to venture a little further.
Like the song say's "Life goes by so fast, you only want to do what you think is right, close your eyes and it's past... story of my life".

Wizard
10-18-2005, 01:02 PM
I just don't like the part about trailering a big arse boat over those mountains south of Ensenada with winding twisting roads, 300' drop offs, no guard rails, and big trucks coming at you with less than 2' of clearance.

Been there, done that, wouldn't do it again.

hijole
10-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Well in case you didn't know, Ann has driven their 26' down to Mag Bay 7 times. No hot truck either, just a 1982 Suburban. Dan says he's too scared to drive so he reads while she drives.

DOGHOUSE26
10-18-2005, 11:29 PM
I think he does all his reading from the back seat.

scuttlebutt
07-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Do you still plan on going on this trip and when? I will take ownership of a new billfisher at the end of this month or into first week of Aug. Was planning on trip to San Martin for first maiden voyage. Would like to go down with you to at least that far.

yellowfin1
07-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Scuttlebutt,

I like the name. Is it referring to a water cooler or the gossip around the water cooler?

You must be super excited about receiving the new boat. You'll be very happy with it.

Yale (El Patron) and myself (Tenacious) are set to depart on 6 Aug. Haven't gotten any confirmation that any other club members are taking their boat along. The departure on 6 Aug will primarily be a leisurely one. I plan to fish the banks (425, then parts south along the way) but, the primary emphasis is on getting down to Ensenada, filling up on fuel making bait and relaxing prior to the adventure begining. You are more than welcome to join us on the transit to San Martin. The chlorophyll and SST charts sure make the area below the lower 500 look like a good destination.

Welcome aboard.
Give me a shout if you have any questions.
(858) 229-2261

Scott

scuttlebutt
07-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks for answering. Haven't got the hang of this web page yet. Do not have date yet for sea trials but hope it is right after the first. Might be a little to soon to make that trip till I spend more time locally. I plan on going straight down there and spend day or two then head out to the tuna grounds then head home. Don't plan on stopping at Ensenada this time. Have a good trip. Did you get the larger fuel tank put in? What year is your boat? Be careful of the fuel at the Coral. Reel Twins has there boat at the Blackmans now getting almost 20% water out of there fuel tank after getting fuel down there. Don't know when they got it but they were having trouble with engine and when they checked the fuel it was contaminated real bad. Saw container on the bench Monday. They have had there boat out iof the water for the winter but found out they have slip near me at the ASW base. Steve told me about your trip as I was going to go down there for a week with a friend of mine who has a 40ft trawler. Because of fuel costs we decided to cancel trip. His boat has long range but is slow at 7kts and sucks fuel even at that speed. We had six to go but to much time in transit. Yes, looking forward to the boat Had larger tank put in plus upgraded four scoop bait tank and full electronics pkg., all on a 12" screen.

yellowfin1
07-20-2006, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the warning. I guess things like that can happen anywhere. I heard of guys getting bad fuel even at Dana Landing. Guess I'll be checking my site glass often. The boat sounds rad. I look forward to seeing it preferably while you are hooked up on a bigeye or marlin.

Scott

scuttlebutt
07-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Thanks. By the way, you were the only person I have talked to that I didn't have to explain what Scuttlebutt means. They usually know the rumor but not the water fountain and that they are called that on Navy ships. "Rumor on the water" as I see it. Spent 32 years in the Navy so thought something Navy would be appropriate.

yellowfin1
07-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Congrats on completing 32 years on Naval Service and thanks for your contribution to the good old USA.

Oh I forgot to answer your other question as well....No I did not get an additional fuel tank installed in Tenacious. I plan to carry the extra 40 gal of fuel in jugs. The Tenacious is a 1984 Billfisher with a new AD-41 installed in 2004.

Scott

yellowfin1
07-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Phil (Knot Now),
Any updates on your participation in the Cedros trip?
Scott

Knot Now
07-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Scott,
It doesn't look good for me.
First, My buddy bill had a heart attack two weeks ago while out fishing. He is resting O.K. now, but I think a long-range trip on my Blackman is out of the question.
Second, I was hoping to get new electronics, but I am not sure which brand after playing with Charlie's Raymarine set-up, i.e. I was somewhat disappointed.
Third, It looks like I have a contract job for August.
You guys have fun,
Phil

scuttlebutt
07-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Congrats on completing 32 years on Naval Service and thanks for your contribution to the good old USA.

Oh I forgot to answer your other question as well....No I did not get an additional fuel tank installed in Tenacious. I plan to carry the extra 40 gal of fuel in jugs. The Tenacious is a 1984 Billfisher with a new AD-41 installed in 2004.

Scott
Thanks. I think you will have enough fuel. Sure want to here about the trip and the fuel side of it. Didn't know Tortuga had a fuel dock. Interesting. Hope you tell us all about it when you get back.