PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Puerto Vallarta 10/16 through 10/23

Professor
10-25-2005, 05:01 AM
I tried to put the pictures in but had problems up loading them :mad: . If your interested they are on bloodydecks.com It looks good having one tuna go completely accross the stern of your Billfisher.

After fishing with Josh for a couple of days in February of this year, I knew Puerto Vallarta was the place to take the Patròn. I immediately started making plans for this fall and after 8 loooong months the time arrived. The plan is for the boat and truck to stay in dry storage at Paradise Village when I’m not there fishing and to make four week long fly down and fish trips with the last trip finishing up in mid January.

The boat left from El Cajon at 2am on Thursday the 13th headed down the highway toward Nogales. Fortunately I wasn’t with the boat thus missing the beautiful 1500 mile drive. The boat crossed the border at about 3pm and as usual the fact that the Patròn is a documented vessel gave the Mexicans at the border a fits. They want to see a state registration. After an hour of back and forth the journey continued and the boat arrived in Puerto Vallarta Saturday morning. Other than one flat on the trailer, the trip went flawlessly.
Sunday morning my brother Rick and I flew down for six days of trying to round up a few stray cows.

Sunday 10/16

The day finally arrived. A two hour flight via Aeromexico from San Diego and Rick and I are in Puerto Vallarta by 2:30 in the afternoon. We hook up with Joel who drove the boat down and drop him at the bus station so he can go to Guadalajara to visit family before flying back. It’s off to the super mercado and then to Paradise Village to hook up and launch the boat. The launch was exciting in that the tide was low and the launch ramp was slick so we slid the truck down the ramp and as soon as the boat was in the water I started the boat engine so I could use the boat to stop the parade if necessary. Fortunately the truck oozed to a stop and the launch was a success. The truck and trailer went to the dry storage area and we headed out to try and make bait. We worked at it for two hours in the evening and two hours in the morning and all we had to show for our efforts was a lot of sleep deprivation and not one single caballito.

Monday 10/17

After the failed morning bait effort, we slowly cruised out to Corbeteña while dining on fruit and lard laced pan dulce’s for breakfast. The slow cruise enabled us to both catch a few winks so we would be fresh and rested when we caught up with the herd of cows. We arrived at Corbeteña mid day and started working on bait. All we needed were two for the lines and a couple of spares in the tuna tubes. Why skipjack get within a thousand miles of Corbeteña is a mystery to me. They are on everybody’s hit list. Tuna, marlin and fisherman are all trying to wipe them out.

Before leaving for PV I read an interesting article by the world class big game fisherman Peter Wright regarding the value of skipjack as a bait and how to rig to catch them. In the rigging portion of his article he suggested using 20# for rigging your hoochys. What a waste this was. The skippies ate my hoochy’s like they were snacks and busted the 20# like it was nothing. Not to mention straightening out hooks that were appropriate to 20# but here were way to light for the task at hand. Thirty #, 40#, and 50# didn’t get the job done either. Everthing that lives in these waters is tough. Sixty # and live bait hooks seemed to work pretty well. Since the hoochy rigs take a while to tie, we pretty much killed Monday perfecting our bait acquisition and rigging technique and getting the lay of the land (water?). We anchored up at Corbeteña and spend the night rocking and rolling since the ripper current and 15 knot wind were about 60° out of sync.

Tuesday 10/18

It was still sloppy in the morning but what the hell, we’re in cow town. Bacon and eggs for breakfast and were ready to go Our now polished bait skills get us two baits in the tubes and two baits out in about half an hour and were in the game. Two hours later the starboard bait gets ambushed and its game on for my brother and some as yet unknown denizen of the deep. Forty minutes later and he has a nice 120# YFT on the deck.

Both of us were happy with the new Avet T-RX Quad reel. I know, spam, spam, spam. All the other reels on the boat are tricked out Penns but there is no comparison. These things are tighter than a bulls butt in fly season and when you jack that drag up until your light in the heels they are still smooth as silk. Ok spam over.

With the first fish under our belt it’s my turn to kick some big fish butt. Thirty minutes later it’s game on again. This fish is definitely a larger number and he and I are really giving each other a work out when at the 45 minute mark the hook pulls. How do you pull a 20/0 circle hook after 45 minutes of hard pulling. I know it happens live with it. We were pleased with the day and hauled our tired butts back to Punta Mita for a little food and some seriously needed sleep.

Wednesday 10/19

0 dark thirty and we’re headed back to Corbeteña. We are getting pretty good at the bait game now and we pick up four baits, get tangled in some gill netters mess, clear that go another 100 yards and one of the baits meets an unfortunate end. This fish is really strong. Little did I know just how strong. I’ve got 135# spectra to 125# mono to 200# fluro and a 20/0 mustad circle hook. This terminal gear is set up on the Avet and a 5 ½ foot Calstar 5555XXH and I’m fishing 35 to 50 pounds of drag. This is serious gear for serious fish. My brother is running the boat and he is working the fish hard. He’s got a great aptitude for running the boat and he kept me in good position most of the time and with maximum pressure on the fish. What could go wrong? At three and a half hours mark I found out what could go wrong. My legs were tired of being in a flexed fighting position and starting to cramp. At the four hour mark my right arm decided that it had also had enough of this and it started to cramp badly making turning the handle an excruciatingly painful experience. I’m drinking water, eating bannas and whining like a girly man. At the 4 hour and twenty minute mark the fish finally settled into a circle. I don’t know whether he is physically tired or just tired of my whining and calling him some very ugly names. At just short of the 5 hour mark the flying gaff goes home and we cinch him up to the boat and just sit on the deck for 15 minutes. Twenty minutes later courtesy of a come along and he is on the deck of the Patròn. The bathroom scale said 286 and he tapped out at 288. I’m going with the 288 since parts of him were on the deck when he was on the scale.

This was my sixth fish over 200 and he was the toughest by far. We were over eight miles from where we hooked the fish so we started to slowly motor back up to the rock. About Two miles from the rock we came upon a low budget version of a long line. Since they aren’t supposed to long line this area we decided that the dumpster would be a more appropriate spot for the long line and we started to pull it. Two miles later we came to the end and we had two trash bags full of long line and had released one small but very dead dorado. We decided that the day was done for us and started back to Punta Mita for the night. We hadn’t gone more than a couple of miles when I picked up another long line in the prop. Two hours later, after pulling and replacing a prop we were on our way again (Note in the process I dropped a thrush washer, fortunately had a spare). Loooong day.

Thursday 10/20

This was try and fix it day so we went to PV for some fuses to try and get the generator back on line, have lunch, BS with Josh who was also in the repair and maintenance mode, and to pick up a few supplies. This was my first chance to see Paradise Village and it’s really a nice place.

Friday 10/21

At this point in the trip you really have to come to grips with the toll these fish, the intensity of the get a bait and get it on the hook and be ready drill and the sloppy ocean conditions are starting to have on your mind and body. When you combine this with the tropical weather that is great for sipping Piña Coladas by the pool, but sucks for serious physical activity, the fish harness starts to look more like a medieval torture device than a fine piece of fishing gear.
None the less, we are off again for an early start to Corbeteña to continue the tuna wars. It gets light enough to fish at a little before 7 am and by 8 we’ve got our baits and are on the hunt. The hunt didn’t last long and by 9 am I’m hooked up with another good fish. Fortunately this seemed to be a good fish but not one of the “evil and I’m going to hurt you badly fish”. After 40 minutes of work we we’re surprised to be sinking the gaff in a 244# YFT.

The rest of the day was spent futilely trying to get more bait but the skippies were not cooperating so after a bite of one skippie every two hours at 5 o’clock we called it a day and headed back to Punta Mta for the evening.

Saturday 10/22

We drag our selves out of the rack at 5:30 wondering how in the hell Josh and the rest of the fishing fools do this for months on end without dying in the process. But what the hell, we’re fishing and the cows are waiting. Bait acquisition has become a much tougher issue. We get the bait for round one fairly quickly and head out for the hunt. The bites come quickly but the “just kill the bait but don’t swallow it” type of bite. Back to the bait ground and the going is next to impossible. After two hours we finally pick up a couple of baits, put them on and almost immediately a 350 # black climbs on for the ride. Unfortunately he only wanted about a 20 second ride. Got outside with the last bait and after about a half hour he’s destroyed but not eaten. Three more hours looking for bait proved unsuccessful so we got the skunk for our last day of fishing and headed in to Punta Mita for our final night.

Sunday 10/23

Sunday was devoted to cruising slowly to PV, scrubbing, cleaning and repairing for the next trip. Our final event was pulling the boat out at PV. Because Ford is on their fifth week of trying to get my 4wd F350 powerstroke running, I had to take the boat down with a 2wd F250. It took an hour and six guys in the bed of the truck to get up the engineering marvel they call a launch ramp with the boat.

Post trip comments.

The trip is an incredible adventure and I would definitely recommend it, but taking your own boat is a big undertaking and it’s not a cheap way to fish. Before going on your own I would strongly urge you to get some big fish experience and some PV experience. A couple of days fishing with Josh or one of the other better PV skippers will prove invaluable or can be a great end in itself. I would also recommend spending some time talking to people that have done the trip. There are lots of details to attend to. It’s not like hooking up and going to Ensenada for the weekend. I’m headed back in three weeks for round two of a four trip experience. Now that the exhaustion has worn off I’m looking forward to round two. We hit PV during a good one week period and it may not be the same next trip, but fishing for big fish is exciting

Moo Fish
10-25-2005, 06:40 AM
Hats off to the Professor!!

How will you tweak your approach for Round Two?? Fighting chair? Block and tackle to get that cow over the stern? 80 lb for making bait? Who gets all that tuna? Good luck with the PSD.

RT

NoSlack
10-25-2005, 07:03 AM
http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/1/3/0/3/CORB-ROUGH-WATER-WEB.jpg

http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/1/3/0/3/RICK-120-YFT-10-18-WEB.jpg

http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/1/3/0/3/YC-YFT-244-10-21-WEB.jpg

yellowfin1
10-25-2005, 07:42 AM
Nice report Yale,

I'm envious but, I know that trailering the Tenacious down there is out of my league. I'm tired just reading the report. My biggest fish was a 168 bigeye which I was on for 50 minutes. I can't even imaging a 288 and after 5 hours? Great pics. Thanks for posting the pics Mike.

Scott

DOGHOUSE26
10-25-2005, 08:18 AM
Congratulations Yale, what a fantastic trip and a great read for all of us, thanks for the report! You have to get a copy of your pic into the shop at Blackman's, that is one nice fish! The detachable railing off the stern came in handy this time! Although the desire to do your own thing is huge I appreciate your suggestions on how to become acclamated to the requirements of fishing in PV; it's no small undertaking and considering what Josh and the others charge their fees are peanuts compared to what you have to shell out to attain the success of this trip. It's exciting to see your dreams come true with this fish on the trip of a lifetime, looks the the boat and all that planning are all dialed in and the best part is you have at least 3 more whacks at them! I have to admit I wasn't thrilled reading about your pain during the course of the fight, who would look forward to something like that but it's part of the experience which will be etched in the memory of a lifetime and the desire to recover and do it over and over again shows your true passion for the sport. I think you've been to heaven and are still alive to talk about it!

P.S. - What happened to your PSD ? Injectors? I was thinking your buddy that did the towing was in for a sweet trip as your dually 4X4 is the best way to go; I bet it was still a little hairy in a F250 4X2.

Sleigher
10-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Great report.
What did you do with all the tuna?
I know they don't have a cannery there waiting to buy it off of you.
Did you consider running out to the Cleofas bank?
I fished there on the Q105. It was not as bumpy as Corbetena.

Peter

Professor
10-25-2005, 09:12 AM
Thanks Richard. Not much change in tackle or technique that we didn’t already make. I didn’t use a block and tackle for the fish. I went to Home Depot before the trip and bought a comealong. Just don’t make the same mistake I did and ask one of the female clerks where her comalongs are. The tuna we brought back has been eaten, canned, given away and frozen.

Mike, thanks for the picture assist. The big fish on the deck is the 244.

Scott, it’s not out of your league but it is a big time & and planning commitment. If you don’t have the tackle then the $ can also add up and its not tackle that you need here. If you do want to catch big fish it’s a trip that the Blackmans are well suited for. Once you’re in Puerto Vallarta it’s like going to the Coronado Islands only the fish are on steroids.

hijole
10-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Hijole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who can top that one?

Now I know the reason you ordered everything when you built the Patron.

How can I see the pictures. I've tried to look up that address and I can't even do that. On the radio program last weekend the skipper was talking about the fish being extra tough right now down there.

I'm sorry we can't try some of that tuna for the BBQ.

Professor
10-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Pepe, the link is

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29721

At least I think that should work.

It was a great trip, and I've got others planned. I'm thinking like perhaps Prince Rupert Island. Big king Salmon, jumbo halibut and giant lings. I could probably even talk No Slack into that trip since he is the halibut king. Charlie would have to set a Northern limit to the tournament then :D .

hijole
10-25-2005, 09:11 PM
That's better. I printed the picture and cut out for my garage. Thanks for the story I feel I was on the trip. It looks just like my deck.
I agree with Jeff, that picture needs to be at the Blackman shop and a story and pictures in WON.

Professor
10-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Steve has seen it and I told him that whatever I can do to help him I would be more than happy to do. They build a great boat and have been super at correcting whatever ever OEM problems I have had. It's interesting that how good the boat is often involves no fish situations. I've been in some water that I wouldn't even wish on you and the boat has performed beautifully. Thanks for the comments.

Dos Pelones
10-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Way to go Yale!!!!!

I quit fishing around here this season as soon as hunting season opened and dog trials started. Boats headed to live in Loreto.

But you sure make a dude think about the what ifs? Like what if I had more time and money all at the same time! Your trip blows me away!

Congradulations, you are in the Blackman Hall of Fame!
Jorge

Professor
10-27-2005, 02:03 PM
Jorge,

Thanks for the kind comments. Let’s see, hunting season, dog trials and the boats going to Loreto. Doesn’t sound like your suffering to much. Based on my travels up and down the Gulf I think you picked the best spot in the Gulf to locate. The fishing, weather, accessibility and current/proposed infrastructure all say Loreto. I’m just not ready to settle the boat down yet.

Yale

DOGHOUSE26
10-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Yale,

That BD Board is getting a little hot, I think it all boils down to circle hook use and alot of jealousy covered with B.S.! At least Josh is trying to conserve the resource. I'm not a pro-release man but as a visitor with no contacts I can't imagine getting rid of that much fish a 200+ fish would bring; I'd probably end up releasing mine if I were lucky enough to get one.

Did you read the BD thread about the drive from U.S. to Punta Mita, I've flown to PV 4 times but never driven it, is it really that weird with the toll roads 4 lanes down to one and such? Do you launch @ Punta Mita or Puerta Vallarta proper?

Professor
10-28-2005, 10:39 AM
While the locals seem to have an insatiable capacity to use fresh fish I’m not sure that satisfying that need is one I want to fill on a regular basis. I’ve set a one fish cap on my trips from now on. An ice chest full of tuna fillets is plenty. In fact I’m having tuna again tonight for the fifth time in two weeks and if I don’t have it again for a couple of weeks that will be fine with me.

I didn’t go down with the boat so can’t comment on the trip. Mexican roads are different and a bit hair raising at times, but it is doable. The facilities at Paradise Village are very nice. I launched there and then stayed on the boat at Punta Mita which is a very good anchorage.

DOGHOUSE26
10-28-2005, 10:51 AM
So is Paradise @ Punta Mita or PV? I've done the East Cape/Cabo road trip with a skiff at least a dozen times since 1980; If you don't push too hard the roads are OK. Maybe because they described their travels at night makes it seem so much more difficult.

Professor
10-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Sorry I didn’t make that clear. After you’ve been there a couple of times you presume everybody knows what you’re talking about. Puerto Vallarta sits at the back of Banderas Bay which a very large horseshoe shaped bay. The most westerly northern point of the bay is Punta Mita. I’d guess it’s about 12 miles from Puerta Vallarta to Punta Mita.

I think any new road can be a bit intimidating, plus they are in a foreign country going through the jungle at night and the weather is overpowering with heat and humidity. I can see where it can be a bit intimidating.