PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Locations for new gps

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:04 AM
#0, Mounting Locations for new gps
Posted by MAC ATTACK on Mar-04-04 at 12:40 PM

Ok guys, where did you mount your gps units on your Billfishers. I am goimg with Garmin 2010C or 2006C unit. Did you mount on top of the dash with Nav pods or did you have room on your dash. Just looking for the cleanest installations. Any thoughts are welcome. Any pictures would be great.

Thanks Mike/Mac Attack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Mounting Locations for new gps
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Mar-04-04 at 02:51 PM
In response to message #0

Mike,
Thoughts: I mounted mine using the little bracket that it came with right on top of the dash. I would love to have used one of those cool NAVPOD things but didn't. The unit would probably look outstanding mounted in your dash if you have room. Just keep in mind that as technology improves you may want to upgrade and it might be hard to find a system which fits perfectly into the hole which you cut out of the dash.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Mounting Locations for new gps
Posted by SBSRF on Mar-04-04 at 06:01 PM
In response to message #1

Mike, I have a 1984 Billfisher. Mounted the GPS on its factory bracket to the starboard side of the throttle. I have a couple of good pics of Grebe's flybridge but I don't know how to post pics on this site. I'd be happy to email them to someone who knows how.

#3, RE: Mounting Locations for new gps
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Mar-04-04 at 10:11 PM
In response to message #2

I just bought a 2010C at the Long Beach Fred Hall Show from Boater's World and they beat the internet prices. My current 6" screen Lowrance GPS is mounted on the right side of my dash with the bracket hanging upside down under the dash edge; it's screwed to the underside of the dash so my unit is partially protected from the elements. I'm going to put my 2010C in the same place however I'll probably have to shim the bracket down so the new GPS will be completely visable. If it goes down too far it might interfere with my view of the screen to my Furuno 582 sounder which is mounted on the deck of my bridge starboard side. It's a problem I'll have too cope with; better than not being able to read the tiny numbers on my current faded GPS screen! I'll post pics when I finish the install.

#4, RE: Mounting Locations for new gps
Posted by MAC ATTACK on Mar-05-04 at 06:46 AM
In response to message #3

I am heading to the show on Saturday. I will see what kind of prices Boaters World has on the 2006C and the 2010C. I almost pulled the pin last night and purchased one over the internet.

Thanks
Mike/Mac Attack

#5, RE: Mounting Locations for new gps
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Mar-05-04 at 03:39 PM
In response to message #4

$2100 + $117 chart chip + tax - $150 rebate - $84 captains club rebate = $2154.81 . Best net was $ 2179 and I have someone semi local to yell at should the time come. I don't know what a 2006C will go for.

#6, RE: Mounting Locations for new gps
Posted by MAC ATTACK on Mar-06-04 at 08:12 PM
In response to message #5

Picked up my new 2010c Garmin at the show. Thanks for the info Jeff, great price. I will be searching for a new location on the boat tommorrow. I will probably leave my small 172 Garmin installed since its mounted flush in the dash.

Mike/Mac Attack

#7, RE: Mounting Locations for new gps
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Mar-06-04 at 10:47 PM
In response to message #6

Congradulations! Did you receive yours there or are they shipping it? If you have yours in hand, let's use your boat as a template! Mine should be here in a week, can't wait!

#9, RE: Mounting Locations for new gps
Posted by MAC ATTACK on Mar-07-04 at 09:40 AM
In response to message #7

They are shipping mine also. It should be here in a week or so they tell me. Huge difference between the 172 garmin and the 2010. Can't wait to get it. Also bought the new 511 Furuno auto-pilot, they tell me I can use my existing Benmar drive. We will see.

Mike
Mac/Attack

#8, RE: Mounting Locations for new gps
Posted by Nomad on Mar-07-04 at 06:23 AM
In response to message #6

I have a RayMarine unit mounted in a Nav Pod on the dash. I love it there during the day but find no matter how low I turn down the light, even with nightime settings, it's a distraction at night. I'll usually cover it when I'm running at night and uncover it to verify my position. I think I would mount it there again if I had to do it all over again. The space in the electronics boxes to the right and left of the helm seat are taken up my other electronics so this was my only option.
Charlie

#10, RE: Mounting Locations for new gps
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Mar-22-04 at 11:00 PM
In response to message #8

Well I finally received my 2010C last week and I hooked it up today without permanantly mounting it yet. Looks like it will have to go on top of the dash to the right of my Morse shift control station; it's just too big to put anywhere else. If I put it in the right side dash cutout in the corner as I had originally planned it would block out my fishfinder mounted on the bridge floor. So I will mount it on top and keep my existing Lowrance Plotter as a backup. I need to make a teak mounting base to go over one of the windshield mounting brackets to keep the new GPS level. I'm a little concerned about Charlie's distraction comment however; extra light in your face is a big problem in the pitch darkness of night trying to avoid lobster buoys, molas,and anything else floating in the water while underway during those long tuna runs! I'm still amazed at the quality of chart reproduction and the things this unit will do.

#11, RE: Mounting Locations for new gps
Posted by Nomad on Mar-23-04 at 06:02 AM
In response to message #10

I have a night setting that I use when going out. Once I'm in open water I'll usually cover it and just check it once in a while. It's also tiring on your eyes to have the light in your face all night long.