PDA

View Full Version : Pumping out the fish box?

Sleigher
11-01-2005, 03:49 PM
Can anyone suggest a good pump for emptying water and junk from the fishbox?
Likely to be underwater.
The existing pump is a Rule bilge pump which works okay unless crap gets in the screen.
What do you guys use?
Does your pump get completely submersed?
And stay that way most of the day?
How do you pick up the water etc? Do you have a hose off the suction or what? Is it mounted vertical or horizontal.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Wizard
11-01-2005, 05:44 PM
I have a small Rule that goes to a thru-hull, it always gets clogged. I bought all the stuff to install a macerator including a larger hose and larger thru-hull. I have yet to install it, because of other mechanical work. But I think that is the only good option. My box used to have a drain in the bottom, but I keep my boat in a slip and didn't like having a rubber plug in a drain the whole time, so I plugged it. Good solution if a trailer boat though.

DOGHOUSE26
11-01-2005, 06:46 PM
I mounted a Jabsco Macerator pump (SD Marine Exchange $120) horizontally high up on the fuel tank bulkhead adjacent to the hose discharge hole in the bulkhead starboard side. This is my second pump in 2 years, they say this pump is a new version which will be able to withstand the impeller not being wet all the time. Bulloney, I think I will be replacing this pump in the spring again. I have a 2" suction hose with a 2" elbow nipple going into the screen down to the sump base. It works like a champ after you prime the discharge end with water. The Rules just don't cut it, albie scales are the worst!

John @ Blackman's came up with a trap arrangement in Manu Lani's rig, good in theory but I'm waiting to hear the results.
There must be a better answer!

I can email pics if you wish. :)

Professor
11-01-2005, 07:25 PM
I use that compartment for fuel storage, the water maker, spare rode storage and the hot water heater. If you don’t throw fish in there you don’t have problems. Probably not a lot of help but I’m generally not a lot of help.

hijole
11-01-2005, 08:47 PM
I use a tropical fish (green) net to get the crap out. While fishing, the Rule can get most of the water out I pump in to keep the fish wet. After taking the fish out I use the tropical fish net to get the scales out. With a small amount of Simple Green it's as good as new. It makes me kneel on the step and reach down several times times to get the stuff out but it works and I can get it all out. Very little water stays in. In 17 years I have replaced the cheapo Rule 3 times. I think I replaced the original pump with a larger pump. I can't remember the numbers but I think it was a 5500 that I exchanged with a 6000 or 6600.

Sleigher
11-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the replys.
Yes, please send the pictures to pjcgrows@aol.com.
I have a shaft model so my fish box is on the starboard side.
The only way to get all the water out is to drop the nose and run the pump and then get the shop vac.
Definitely not a design hi-light.

Peter

Malu Lani
11-02-2005, 07:31 PM
My boat has the trap and still gets plugged .I just hit it with the wash down hose no problemo. the rule pumps can run dry all day and still work thats a good feature.

Rob

yellowfin1
11-03-2005, 08:17 AM
Ok,

I am ignorant because I don't even know what kind of pump I have in the fish hold because I have not taken the trap off to look at it. Reason is that it works really well, never has gotten clogged and always pumps out the water and scales, etc. I've had the boat for 3 years and never had a problem with it. I always use the fish hold to store fish.

I'll bring the boat to the picnic if anyone wants to check it out.

Scott

Scott