PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the rain

hijole
11-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Well are we ready for the rain?
Awhile back someone wrote about a plan to protect the seat on the bridge of the Billfisher from pulling apart.
I lay a sheet of construction grade plastic from the top of the seat (backrest) to also cover the bottom cushion. When my seat seperated years ago it was because the wood was soaked wet and the screws came out. When it rains it really can get the seat wet. Laying the plastic over the seat has solved the problem.
I have also used the plastic covers for a computer monitor to cover the radar and depthfinder monitors.
What else are you doing to get ready for the rain?

yellowfin1
11-08-2005, 06:57 AM
Great idea Pepe.

For the rainy season I'll ensure that the trailer is jacked up high enough to allow the water to run out of the bilge instead of collecting in there (common sense). The guys with their boats in ythe water will want to test their bilge pumps and ensure they are located in the lowest part of the bilge. Also will open all holds and covers on the warmer sunnier days to allow any wet wod to dry out. It might be a good idea now to ensure that all varnished teak is sealed well to prevent mold from growing under the varnish and turning black. Finally a good coat of wax on those horizontal gelcoat areas to prevent moisture from soaking through it and creating mold growth.

Scott

hijole
11-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Sounds good. The sound of waxing gets me tired until I start. Then it's not so bad.