PDA

View Full Version : Blackman Boatworks vs ?

Sleigher
11-09-2005, 04:01 PM
As you may guess from my other posts, I am a "Do it your-selfer."
When I don't do things myself I am generally dissapointed in the quality of the work and or the price.
I am happy to tackle engine, drivetrain, electronics, electrical, trailer etc.
When it comes to cosmetic issues (gel-coat, fiberglass) I don't have the patience, skill or desire.
My question is: To do this type of work is it worth it to haul my boat from Whittier down to the Blackman yard?
I have a couple of cracks in the house (right behind the ladder) and a number of tiny cosmetic repairs.
Or should I take it to a place like Sunset Aquatic or Crystaliner?

Thanks,

Peter

DOGHOUSE26
11-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Steve has helped me with my repairs and they came out great; But I'm down in SD.

I have heard nothing but GREAT things about the Crystaliner shop; if they are closer I wouldn't hesitate for a minute. Their shops are set up the same, prices are probably equal.

hijole
11-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Thier name is on our boats. Thier business is basically from Blackman boat owners without any advertising. If you decide to go close to home for this repair, someday you should plan a field trip to SD and make sure to stop in the shop they will give you a tour. Call in advance because most of the time someone is in the water taking a boat for a spin or new boat delivery. They close at 4 and close weekends.
When I bought the boat Don and Shirley met with me on a Sunday morning. We spent equal time talking about my new boat as much as talking about fishing and looking at pictues of Don's family's turtle farm in Baja.
I really think we are lucky to have them close to home. If you call they may even recommend for you to stay close to home and save your money. If you decide to bring it hear you won't complain with what you get.

Wizard
11-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Not sure the best answer.. bought my boat hoping to get Blackman service... but too busy for a couple years and never even me them yet.. Did go to the funeral at sea though.. was a good feeling. I think owning an older Blackman is like owning any other boat... just keep trying yards until you find a friend... I'm on my second yard and no friends yet.... If your boat is newer, Blackman yard should remember you.

Moo Fish
11-10-2005, 07:10 AM
Any concerns with matching gel coat? I think Blackman's use a fiberglass supplier in EL Cajon for resin, etc. Maybe a call to Blackman would give you their name or a supply of the right kind gel coat?

yellowfin1
11-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Sleighter,

Last year I needed to do the same type of repairs. I called Shirley and she said to come on down to the shop with my own containers. One for the catalyst, the other for the gel coat. I brought two 1 quart containers and Steve filled each one 1/4 full with the off white gelcoat and catalyst. Shirley did charge me though. For both of them I had to pay a total of $1. The gelcoat was plenty to do al of my repairs. One recommendation though. I noticed this the other day on "The reel one" while I was walking around Shelter Island. Many of the older Billfishers have a gelcoat crack extending all around the base of the flying bridge (just below the windows) where there is a seem where two different pieces of wood meet. I was very concerned about that crack last year because I thought that water was probably seeping into wood and weakining the whole flybridge structure. To investigate, I chipped away some of the gelcoat in a few places around this crack. What I found was that there was a good layer of fiberglass which prevented the wood from getting wet. Basically the only problem was some mold had grown in the crack. I got rid of this mold by spraying with plenty of windex then letting it dry out for a few days. I then chipped away enough gelcoat all around the FB to clean and sand out the old mold. Wiped it all down with acetone then filled it with a smooth coat of white "Marine Tex". This stuff has worked great and looks good to. Only slight problem is that it is super white looking and quite a bit brighter in color than the original surrounding gel coat. I buffed it out with Big white wax and it looks very good.

Good luck,

Scott

DOGHOUSE26
11-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Glenn,

If you keep walking into the boatyards with your pants down around your ankles you are going to continue to get Fokked;even though it's the original builder there is a lot to be said for the peace of mind while getting it done right by the people who know your boat maybe better than you do! I will admit they don't wait on alot of you hands and feet like a french maid; they know what it will cost to fix it right, they are not shy about telling you how much it will cost nor are they shy about charging you that much to fix your boat. Steve, John, and everyone else wants to do the best job possible, they have alot of pride in their work and product, and like everyone else they make mistakes from time to time but they always stand by their work and will correct any problems which pop up from time to time. WITH THE CURRENT SELECTION OF VOLVO DIESEL REPAIR FACILITIES IN SD ITS SAFE TO SAY THERE IS NO ONE ELSE IN TOWN WORTH GOING TO THAT PROVIDES SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER SAVINGS AND SERVICE. Remember I said VOLVO not YANMAR; they are a different animal! So if you don't take your boat to Blackman's for repair service, someone else will and Steve knows that. There are plenty of people with their pants down like Glenn bouncing from shop to shop that are NEVER truly satisfied but keep doing this over and over again and I believe poorer in the long run or at the very least aged and upset over the whole boat owner scene. Remember this is your cherished pleasure time you're fokking with! ;)

Wizard
11-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Yep, I have more patience. Well, ran out of money, so picking up the boat tomorrow, and picking up engine already out of boat, and bringing it all home. Buying an A-frame big enough to do my own work. Just going to spend the winter doing it myself, as $$s permit.

As for gelcoat cracks, I've got a ton. At first I thought Scott said he was chipping the cracks on my boat at the yard to see what was underneath... LOL.

I won't be at the BBQ, gotta run around and buy that A-Frame on Sunday.

DOGHOUSE26
11-11-2005, 06:06 PM
Glenn,

You've got all winter to fix that thing, come to the barby and we'll give you the inside dope how to get it done! :)