PDA

View Full Version : Dead Bait

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:07 AM
#0, Dead Bait
Posted by Nomad on Aug-18-02 at 09:05 AM

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-02 AT 09:06 AM (PST)

The bait tank on the Nomad is one of the standard Blackman tanks. On the way to the 213 we picked up 2 scoops of bait at Mission Bay. Seas were flat and we made 12 knots or so on the way down. When we arrived and started fishing I noticed better then half the bait was dead. Now I haven't checked the flow rate yet but I would guess it fills in 8-10 minutes. As soon as I start to fill the tank it starts running out the overflow indicating that the drain pipe is not sealing well. It still doesn't look like its filling to fast. Also doesn't have a light but I think this only affects the chovies. Anyone have any advice? (may have also been just a bad load of bait, bbut I have lost bait each time I've been out but I assumed it was because the seas were rough and the bait was getting beaten up). Had an Offshore bait tank on my last boat and seldom lost bait, the tank was lit and I usually got bait for San Diego Bay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Dead Bait
Posted by NoSlack on Aug-18-02 at 04:47 PM
In response to message #0

I rarely have trouble with the bait in my tank. I use a Shurflow 1100 plumbed with 1 1/8" hose from the pump to the tank. This combo puts my fill rate in the 8-10 minute range. I also have a light under the tank that dimly light the tank through the non-gelcoated fiberglass panel in the bottom of the tank.
The inlet water enters the tank through a brass spray head in the bottom/center of the tank. The overflow is a 1 1/4" PVC pipe that threads into a fitting in the aft port corner of the tank. The drain stand pipe has a mess head on it to allow scales to exit.

This may be old technology(1980)but it works. Is Don still setting them up the same way?

You can do simple test to see if a tank light would help, just throw a water proof flashlight in the tank on the next trip.

Mike
http://members.cox.net/noslack/tank.JPG
http://members.cox.net/noslack/tank1.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Dead Bait
Posted by SBSRF on Aug-18-02 at 05:10 PM
In response to message #1

Mike, I have the same set up as yours (nice pics by the way). I've never had a problem with bait rolling. I have read a lot about poor bait lately though.

#3, RE: Dead Bait
Posted by Nomad on Aug-18-02 at 05:38 PM
In response to message #1

The technology is basically the same but he's made a few cosmetic changes. I'm just wondering if the flow rate is to high, I'm going to see if Don can stop the gradual outflow. Either that or I'll cork the thru hull drain and time the fill. I lost a fair number of dines so I don't think it's the light but thats a good suggestion. Dines are normally so hardy. I'll see what happens this weekend.

#4, RE: Dead Bait
Posted by Hijole on Aug-18-02 at 10:53 PM
In response to message #3

I have not lost much bait in the past. Last Wednesday I lost alot(Mission Bay). I heard on the radio that other boats were having problems with bait.
I like the pitures on the reply.My tank has a rotating pipe that raises the water level to three sections of the tank. I don't lose any water when the adjustin pipe is in it's place.

#6, RE: Dead Bait
Posted by NoSlack on Aug-19-02 at 12:05 PM
In response to message #4

Tell me more about your adjustable over flow pipe. There are times when a half-full tank would work out much better for me.
Trying to corner that one hot mackerel with a bait net while trying to keep one eye on a tailing Marlin sure would be a lot easier if there was less water to deal with.

Mike

#5, RE: Dead Bait
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Aug-19-02 at 07:56 AM

Charlie,
I also lost about half of my bait (small dines from M.B.). Unfortunately, I don't enough experience with my boat to know if this is normal. Seems like good flow, my tank light works, and the seas were relatively calm. Maybe just weak bait?

#7, RE: Dead Bait
Posted by Sleigher on Aug-19-02 at 12:39 PM

We lost more than usual on Friday. I have the Offshore Tank and the swimstep tank. Each lost some. Normaly the swimstep tank will have a much higher mortality rate if both are holding the same bait. Usually I lose very little so maybe it was just the bait.
The bait guru's all say that your tank should fill no faster than seven minutes so it probably isn't a flow problem.
The Offshore tank has a sleeve on the drain leg that is adjustable. You can maintain any level in the tank that you like. It just takes a little practice to get it right the first time.

#8, RE: Dead Bait
Posted by Nomad on Aug-19-02 at 01:06 PM
In response to message #7

The new tanks have some interior corners so I was wondering if they are beating themselves up. Most had bloody noses.

#9, RE: Dead Bait
Posted by sharkwaters on Aug-21-02 at 09:17 PM
In response to message #8

Bait rolls over for a variety of reasons. Many occur before they get to your tank. In Dana Point it is very common. #1- bait is mishandled when caught- wrong net mesh or over crowding. #2- Not allowing a cure at the receiver. #3- the bait is mishandled during the pass to your boat, ask for half net fulls. It takes longer but doesn't crush the bait. #4- Over crowding in your tank, better to have less good bait than alot of dead. Cheaper too. #5- Tank problems associated with inside design. #6- Rarely is extra pump capacity the root cause for dead bait, but fill time should be checked.
Bob on TUNACIOUS.