PDA

View Full Version : Downriggers

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:09 AM
#0, Downriggers
Posted by Nomad on Apr-25-02 at 05:03 PM

How many of you guys have downriggers and do you use them enough to go out and buy them new if you had to do it all over again?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Downriggers
Posted by NoSlack on Apr-25-02 at 05:56 PM
In response to message #0

I have a pair of cannon fathom-master 600s that came with the boat when I bought it. I have never caught a fish using them, nor have I put in much effort targeting fish with them. The only time I could see using them down here in San Diego would be on the bigger YFT under the porpoise or fishing Threshers.
If we lived up north and fished the salmon, they would be a must have item.

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Downriggers
Posted by SBSRF on Apr-26-02 at 08:33 AM
In response to message #1

Charlie, i have two downriggers that i have'nt had the time to mount yet. I wanted to try them out at the 9 mi bank. I've read about slow trolling for big butts and wanted to give it a try.

#3, RE: Downriggers
Posted by MAC ATTACK on Apr-26-02 at 07:36 PM

I have a pair of Penns on my boat. Used them last week to score on the Ventura salmon. Also use them to slow troll for halibut and thresher sharks. Clean setup, mounts to a aluminum base that fits into rear rod holders. Found that the longer Penn downriggers clear the swimstep and the outdrive.

Mike McCormick
"Mac Attack"

#4, RE: Downriggers
Posted by Tuba8 on Apr-29-02 at 09:14 AM

Nomad
I have been doing alot of research on the subject of down riggers for use on tuna. When the fish are down 2 or 3 hunderd feet. And of course I cant get reliable info some people say it works some say it doest. It seems to me that most people that have them dont use them much. Have you ever seen a boat using them on tuna ? I have a friend
he runs a six pack charter out of San Diego on the (Windsong) He owns a 26 blackman he keeps in Cabo by the way. He tells me the down rigger should work great on tuna that will not come up. I dont think enough people try it to make it work. I watched a TV show one Sunday morning they used a big center councel boat on Albacore. They used down riggers and every thing else you can think of. So to sum this all up I have no idea I dont think I will spend the money this year.

Russ

#5, RE: Downriggers
Posted by Nomad on Apr-30-02 at 07:19 PM
In response to message #4

I am doing some additional research but I think I'll hold off for now too. I do want to do some thresher fishing and I'll probably need them for that. I'll wait a while and see how much I really need them.