PDA

View Full Version : Motor questions - The Reel One project

Wizard
11-28-2005, 04:16 PM
First of many questions, I'm sure. I now have two KAD42 motors sitting in my garage. Working on the bilge and transom right now, but will be re-installing one of the motors in a couple months

Anyone pulled and installed their own motor? Is it recommended that the big rubber rings under the clamping ring be replaced each time? They seem in good shape, I have two sets, they are about $50 each new, so I don't think they have to be replaced if not hard or cut? Also, what kind of sealant is that I see on the mating surfaces around the rings?

Mike? LOL I would call Steve and ask, but I am not comfortable asking people that do it for a living, to give up their hard earned knowledge.

Thanks.

Glenn

NoSlack
11-28-2005, 04:54 PM
I've never hesitated to stop by the shop and ask question, and they've never hesitated to answer them. I think they perfer we take care of the small stuff on our own and that frees them up for the big projects we can't handle.

Now for the o-ring, inspect it, lube it and install it. Lube the O-ring with o-ring lube, Vasoline, K-Y, or what ever you have handy on the night stand. ;) A little lube makes every job go a little easier. If you have any doughts about the ring, drop $50 for a new one and never give it another thought.

Mike

p.s. Do you still have Nextel? Work straped on on me a few months ago. I'll pass on my radio # for contacting me during the day.