PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Hand Pallet Jack

Wizard
12-01-2005, 09:56 AM
If anyone knows of a resource for buying a used Hand Pallet Jack. I'm borrowing one right now to move two motors around, but going to need one long enough to maybe be worth buying an old one. Can get a cheapie at Harbor Frieght for $300, but I don't even want to pay that.

Old Blue
12-02-2005, 10:40 PM
that you want one of those? I have had good luck moving the big heavy six cylinder motors around with a regular engine hoist. And when you're done with it theres always someone who will buy it or wants to borrow it. Plus they're great for lifting the motor up on to a stand for working on it, although you can do a fair amount of work on em while they are hanging from the stand.

Just thought I'd throw that out for consideration since to me a pallet jack doesn't seem to practical.

Brian.

Wizard
12-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Well, I have to roll the motor down the driveway, around the sidewalk, and back up into my RV parking to hoist it up with the A-frame into the boat when I am done working on it. I'm a bit concerned about those standard engine hoists swinging around. Sure, I had 454 big blocks on them all the time when I worked on gas motors, but these diesel motors are monsters. And rolling it around like that seems prone to tipping on all but perfect level surface (like down a driveway)? If it's all ok, and I'm just not comfortable doing it because I haven't done it, then maybe I should get an engine hoist instead?

Old Blue
12-03-2005, 11:21 PM
hald a dozen of the other. The pallet jack may not negotiate the cracks on the driveway and sidewalk joints to well, where with the hoist you can stick a 2X4 under the legs and lift it over them. I don't think you can do that with the pallet jack but it would be more stable. With either one, if theres any slope your going to need a couple of guys for pushing and pulling. Maybe you can set the pallet or stand on the horizontal legs of the hoist to eliminate the swing or maybe you can hoist it into the bed of your pickup and drive it under the A frame. If you've moved big motors around before, you can do it. Your right they're big and heavy just take your time and think it through.

Brian