PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Gelcoat repair

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:11 AM
#0, Fiberglass Gelcoat repair
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Nov-04-02 at 07:54 AM

As many of you know, I purchased the Tenacious earlier this year. She was not maintained very well and requires fiberglass repair in several areas. Most of the repairs are gelcoat cracks, and most of the cracks have developed around the bases of the bow rail and the base of the flying bridge. I have been researching various gelcoat repair techniques and products. Some of them sound very complicated and expensive like the use of Linear Polyurethane (LP) as the top coat. This weekend I began the repair of an area where one of the the previous owners attached a cleat to the fiberglass deck without using any backing or re-inforcing the deck. I used a penetrating epoxy to fill spider cracks and laid two pieces of 6oz fiberglass cloth and a filler over it for strength and to replicate the off white color of the deck. Once I get a chance I'll sand that coat down and add another coat with some pigment to try and match the rest of the deck as best as I can. If that works out well, I'll sand it lightly along with the surrounding area using 400, 800, and 1200 grit wet sand paper. I plan to top it off with a coat of my favorite synthesis wax "Big White". Do any of you have much experience at these repairs? Should I top it off with a two-part polyurethane paint instead of just the epoxy? I would like to confirm the process and share notes. If this process works out well, I'll continue the remainder of the repairs and take some pics to post here with step by step process description.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Fiberglass Gelcoat repair
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Nov-05-02 at 01:24 PM
In response to message #0

OK, Disregard the article above. The procedures I described didn't work worth a *$&!
So I went to the Blackman shop and Don provided me with the correct Gel coat repair stuff for a small fee. Pictures to follow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Fiberglass Gelcoat repair
Posted by Nomad on Nov-05-02 at 01:46 PM
In response to message #1

Always best to start at the source I guess. Don has always been helpful in supporting owners.

#3, RE: Fiberglass Gelcoat repair
Posted by Captn_Hook on Nov-25-02 at 06:39 AM
In response to message #2

Scott:
Let me know how that pans out as well as the procedure Don advised you on. I wanted to ask you about that big white wax. Yesterday I bought some and I am not sure if it was the right stuff you were using. It says on the can hi-temp paste wax and has the shark logo on the can. Is that the same stuff? What brand of rubbing compound did you use prior to the wax?

#4, RE: Fiberglass Gelcoat repair
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Nov-25-02 at 08:01 AM
In response to message #3

Yeah, that's the stuff. Just remebmer to apply it on a warm day as the directions say. I've tried to apply it on late afternoons when the sun is low and humidity is high and it just doesn't film up the way it does when it's warm and sunny.
As for the oxidization remover/rubbing compound, I used 3M heavy oxidization remover which worked well. Even if you don't have alot of oxidization going on, it still evens out the finish really well. Oh yeah, be sure to wipe the fiberglass clean with a clean rag after removing the 3M because it does leave behing a lot of grainy dust which will effect your wax application if you don't. Let me know how it worked out.

#5, RE: Fiberglass Gelcoat repair
Posted by Captn_Hook on Nov-26-02 at 06:14 AM
In response to message #4

Thanks for that Scott. Hey I would love to check out your boat sometime. I live in San Diego and I too am always fixing up my 20 footer. I am planning to upgrade in the future and would like to check out a 26 up close sometime.

#6, RE: Fiberglass Gelcoat repair
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Nov-26-02 at 07:32 AM
In response to message #5

Doug,
No Problem. I always like to discuss boats (especially mine) and get ideas on ways to improve them. I live in Clairmont (858) 274-8902. I've got huge plans for my boat unfortunately, with two young boys, their school, family commitments I haven't had nearly as much time to work on the boat as I'd like. All of the tasks I have planned have to be done in the day time, before the evening humidity and cool weather, and with daylight ending about 4:30 it's a slow process. How bout you? Is you're boat already dialed in, or do you also have a big work list?
Projects that I'm trying to get started on include; paint bilge and fish hold, fix all gel coat cracks and dings, strip and re-finish teak rub-rail, and re-paint the bottom.

#7, RE: Fiberglass Gelcoat repair
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Nov-26-02 at 08:05 AM
In response to message #5

Doug,
I justlooked at your boat in the gallery. Wow, looks great. Especially the teak. Did you stain that or is it oiled?

#8, RE: Fiberglass Gelcoat repair
Posted by Captn_Hook on Nov-27-02 at 06:29 AM
In response to message #7

Scott:
The boat is a 1982. It has mucho teak all over. That has been my main maintance item. It is all varnished. It takes a long time to build up coats and like you said, with humidity and short days, it makes the job harder. Right now I have removed all of the rod holders and as you can see in the picture, they were made of teak and pvc pipe. My brother in law owns a tooling company and is in the process of changing out the pvc holders for powder coated aluminum ones that will slide easily in the teak frame. It should look really good. Next would be to add a small rectangular box to the top of the roll bar. I would move the antenneas to the top of the box and the deck light to the rear of the box. Inside the box I want to have stereo speakers flush mounted and the VHF speaker also in there flush. This would also give me a spot to add a small radar to the front of the box. I thought about a t top but I really like the open top for spotting paddies. After the first of the year I am installing an auto pilot. I decided on the Simrad AP 14. That took some time to save for but I am now ready to make the purchase. After that I will be LP painting the deck and that should do it. I need to keep the Hook clean so I can squeeze as much resale value out of her as I can for a 26 someday. I will give you a call someday and maybe we can paddle out sometime too.

#9, RE: Fiberglass Gelcoat repair
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Nov-27-02 at 07:38 AM
In response to message #8

Doug,
Sounds like you've got some cool plans for the Capt'n Hook. I'm really interested in the LP too. Ya gonna do it yourself? I'm thinking hard about investing in the compressor/gun/etc so that I can do LP, and other detailing paint. With all the work you have planned, I'm sure the Capt'n Hook will be one of the finest 20 footer's around. What's you're range on her?

#10, RE: Fiberglass Gelcoat repair
Posted by Captn_Hook on Dec-02-02 at 05:34 AM
In response to message #9

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-02 AT 05:38 AM (PST)

Range on the hook is 240 miles. That is according to the brochure I have. I think it is safe to say an even 200. Very thrifty on the fuel with the 4 cyl moter. No speed records but I can easily do 20 knots. The LP (if I actually do it) will be done at my brother in laws shop in santee. The shop has all the equipment to do LP and spray gell coat as well. If I do it and all goes well, I will see if see he will help you if you still need it. He only works for fishing trips. No cash required in most cases.

#11, RE: Fiberglass Gelcoat repair
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Dec-02-02 at 07:26 AM
In response to message #10

Thanks Doug,
Deal!

#12, RE: Fiberglass Gelcoat repair
Posted by Captn_Hook on Dec-10-02 at 07:40 AM
In response to message #11

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-02 AT 07:41 AM (PST)

Scott
I went with your recommendation and bought the 3m 2 in 1 and the big white WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Man my hull looks freaken brand new. I still have one more side to do and the transom but wow it really looks clean. I have the name of the boat and the stipe around the boat on as a sticker material. I waxed over the stripe and it made it shine like new. Good tip highly recommended. I just hope it lasts.

#13, RE: Fiberglass Gelcoat repair
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Dec-10-02 at 07:58 AM
In response to message #12

Great Doug,
Glad I could help. Yes it will last, in addition to looking great it's a really hard finish that doesn't fade/scratch easily. I should be a spokesperson for 3M/Big White, eh?.