PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned 23 Billfisher

CAPTAIN HOOK
12-22-2005, 09:24 AM
A friend and me ran accross a 23 billfisher that has been sitting abandoned in a field for about 5 years now. It is uncovered, has weeds and grass growing out of the decks, is inundated with insects and grime. We approached the owner and he wanted 10 grand for it. We offered him 5 and he seemed offended by our low ball and that was that.

The boat is single diesel flybridge configuration. I am considering revisiting the deal and upping my offer if it is a worth while fixer upper for the money he is asking.

Wondering if any of you guys with 23s could shed some light as to what to look for or look out for, that would be a big problem. I feel that if I knew of potential problems and found some, I could bring these to the owner's attention. I could then bargin a little better with him. Otherwise, if there are none and the boat just needs a little TLC, no problem, I will pay him what he is asking. Any gotchas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Doug-

Wizard
12-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Abandoned and treated like that would make me first think the motor is bad, very bad. Going in, I would assume it and be pleased if I found out it wasn't a complete loss. The outdrive as well.

Secondly, check the wood. Anyplace you can get below deck, behind hatches, under hatches, the stringers, etc. Probably (almost certainly) has termites.

I wouldn't give more then a couple grand for something like that without knowing the (honest) history of the boat and motor.

Basically, it's going to cost $15-20K to restore to decent running shape, not including the 1000 hours of labor, in my opinion. What's a decent 23 worth? $25-30K?

Take and post some pics. Curious to see how someone left it.

NoSlack
12-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Like Glenn said, assume the engine and outdrive need to be replaced. Check the deck for any soft spots, as that could turn into a big project.

I'm off work until the New Year and would be happy to check it out with you.

Mike

p.s. I could bring your chair back too.

CAPTAIN HOOK
12-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the replies and this is kind of what I thought too. I was suprised the guy was so adament about wanting 10 grand for it in the shape its in. He also refused to run it and said it would be too much work for him to get it running. IE. batterys, etc. Mike, I may take you up on that if I get a chance. My work has me working through xmas and I only have the weekends. I may take next friday off. Mike email me your phone number when you get a chance. Right now I am kind of looky looing but I am interested in upping the offer like I said if it looks reasonable. God I hate to see a 23 fly just sitting there rotting. It really hurts!

DOGHOUSE26
12-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Glenn hit it right on the head!
5K is not out of line with what will have to be done and what it will be worth after renovation.
He probably asked for 10 grand 5 years ago and see where that got him now!

Moo Fish
12-23-2005, 06:06 PM
Here's a plan: Check the CF numbers which must be way out of date. The owner can be cited for storing a vehicle without a current registration (well, maybe not in Santee or La Mesa). Have a friendly sheriff cite the owner and show up two days later with a roll of $100's. My neighbor's junker RV disappeared after I had him cited. Lots of derelict hulls around--sometimes wish they could talk.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!