PDA

View Full Version : Xmas day project

Wizard
12-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Finished repainting the engine compartment on The Reel One today (xmas day). Now onto reinstalling all ancillary systems and preparing for motor reinstall in a few weeks.

Bilge Before Repainting:

http://www.bocapix.com/data/500/medium/Resize_of_2005-12-25_Blackman_Bilge_Repaint_Before.JPG

Bilge After Repainting:

http://www.bocapix.com/data/500/medium/Resize_of_2005-12-25_Blackman_Bilge_Repaint_After.JPG

DOGHOUSE26
12-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Looks sweet Glenn, hospital clean white! How are the other projects going?

NoSlack
12-26-2005, 08:04 AM
Looking good Glenn. Shooting for getting back on the water by the end on January?

If you need a hand with the engine over New Years weekend, give me a call.

Mike

Wizard
12-26-2005, 10:56 AM
I am going to be taking my time reinstalling the motor. While it's out, I'm installing a Floscan and redoing how all the other systems are installed. My goal is to be back in the water by the end of February. I will probably be ready to install the motor in 2 or 3 weeks.

Wizard
12-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Just ran across another delay. Popped the seal on the transom plate (not on purpose) trying to replace the big square washers and nuts. Now the transom plate is coming off and of course I'll be inclined to completely overhaul it with new studs, misc. bolts, paint, etc.

Maybe by the end of February it will be back together.. LOL

DOGHOUSE26
12-26-2005, 10:29 PM
At least now you won't be worrying you should have changed it when you had it all apart! Didn't you originally have a water problem last year that driscoll couldn't fix; maybe you finally found it!

Wizard
12-27-2005, 07:31 AM
I found the problem earlier this year when no one else could. It is the pins that go through the transom plate from inside the boat through to the outside that hold the top of each trim ram to the transom plate. Those pins have o-rings, and the o-rings were shot. I already have new pins and o-rings and pulled the old ones out of the transom plate while still installed in the boat. But you are right, now I get to double check everything after I pull the plate off. I'll post pics after I get it removed.

Wizard
12-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Outdrive removed, transom plate off. Ugh... I'm going backwards. Now I feel compelled to re-glass the entire transom plate opening just to smooth up the surfaces and touch up some spots that were not glassed very well (I trust Blackman's improved the process in later years, not impressed with attention to detail on the 83' model).

Also building an entirely new rear engine/transom vertical cover. Blackman's built the 83' with mat glass on the outside of that cover, and ZIPPO glass on the inside. I don't need to describe what the wood looked like on the inside of that cover.

I have 3 transom plates now. Can't get the studs out of one, so far. Can't get the steering helmet out of another, so far. Not sure if I should start overhauling the third yet. LOL. My back hurts..