PDA

View Full Version : steering problem

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:13 AM
#0, steering problem
Posted by bajabum on May-29-03 at 09:03 PM

Bought a 23 blackman recently and am having problems with cavitation and steering torque. boat pulls hard to the left and when I adjust the out drive tab it still pulls a little, but cavitates bad. I'm using a 16/17 and a 15/19 prop,one right one left, no diff. 290 OD any ideas? bajabum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: steering problem
Posted by Hijole on May-30-03 at 05:04 AM
In response to message #0

Does it go hard left with any electonics on? Autopilot, power steering turned on?
Does the hydraulic steerring system operating?
Do the trim tabs work properly? Is one of them stuck in place?
Is the OD locked in place?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: steering problem
Posted by bajabum on May-30-03 at 01:47 PM
In response to message #1

No auto pilot, no hydralic steering, (cable) trim tabs work fine, steers fine at troll speed, does not cavitate when tab on OD is straight but pulls very hard to left, (arms tired after corondo trip, cant do this on a 70 mi. tuna run!)

#3, RE: steering problem
Posted by noquestion25 on May-30-03 at 06:40 PM
In response to message #2

not sure if you are dealing with a duo-prop or a single prop. A single prop will have a tendency to pull. And yes it is a bear on long tuna runs. The tab will help some but will not take all of it out. Telflex makes a no feedback box that is relitively inexpensive. As far as the cavatation goes what is your weight distribution on the boat like. Is the trim mechanisim on the drive operating correctly? Are you on a plane when it cavitates?
No Question!

#4, RE: steering problem
Posted by bajabum on May-30-03 at 07:48 PM
In response to message #3

Only cavitates on plane, and with tab turned to correct pull. OD trim working fine. single prop. considering a no feedback helm, but boat would probably still be hard to turn, although it would help because if i let go of the wheel it spins hard to the left. might have to go with a hydralic system. thanks for the "feedback" bajabum

#5, RE: steering problem
Posted by noquestion25 on May-30-03 at 08:49 PM
In response to message #4

On my old boat I had a single prop. I went with the no feedback system, night and day differance. Easy to steer, and no torque pull. Good luck.
No Question

#6, RE: steering problem
Posted by bajabum on May-31-03 at 07:02 AM
In response to message #5

thanks for your help--bajabum

#7, RE: steering problem
Posted by moo fish on Jun-02-03 at 07:24 PM
In response to message #6

Well, sir, just in case there is a slight delay in getting that no-feed back helm (and the duoprop, autopilot, etc, etc), a couple of well placed bungees will help take that torgue out of the helm. I have been on a lot of boats where this was the autopilot....rt on the Moo Fish