PDA

View Full Version : Internet expands the world

Wizard
01-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Got a call from someone tonight that saw my phone number online here in the open forum. He has a problem with oil coming out of the breather of his 41P motor in a parasailing boat in Hawaii. Seems a search came up with our site with Sleigher (he said) saying he had a fix. So I told him I would post here and see if anyone knew the fix he needed? PM me, and I will give you his email info etc.

DOGHOUSE26
01-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Best case scenario: you have too much oil in the crankcase and when you throttle up the boat's stern digs in at first causing the oil to flow to the rear of the engine causing the crank to act like an egg beater and foam the oil creating pressure in the crankcase. Solution: run your engine oil on the lower limit line on the dipstick up to the middle of the mark; not to the top mark and certainly not over the full mark.Or it could be a leaking injector sleeve but he would probably notice coolant loss also;Worst case could also be excessive ring blowby causing exhaust gases to enter into the crankcase and up through the oil drain passages and out the crankcase breather valve on the valve cover. Many a 41 motor have blown out all the crankcase oil into the bilge through the breather tube or dipstick. A good test is to unscrew the oil fill cap and leave it on the valve cover, rev the engine up to 1800 or so and if the oil cap gets blown off the valve cover you have a problem. This is probably more likely since they use the engine commercially and probably race the $hit out of it trying to get the speed up and the fat a$$es up in the air every day which puts alot of pressure on a diesel engine! There are varying degress of blowby; At 3600 hrs. my engine started spitting more oil into the breather tube, I would notice a slight decrease in fuel economy and the bottom half of my air filters getting dirty and oily every 100 hours or so instead of every 200 hours and my motor would smoke a little more than usual @ start up. I ended up adding an after market VW dune buggy air filter canister in line between the breather valve tube on the valve cover and the breather hose inlet on the air filter. I used 3/8" -1/2" rubber hose which fit OVER the breather outlet on the valve cover and went onto a nipple on the canister I mounted on the starboard side partition between the engine and the starboard storage box; I ran a 3/8" hose from the other end of the canister to a small nylon thru hull fitting with barb and clamping nut I drilled into the cover of the air cleaner box lid - enlarging the existing 1/4" hole the original breather tube fit into. I clean this foam element filter every oil change @ 100 hrs. It keeps my air filters cleaner and she is still runing strong @4650 Hrs.! If your cap gets blown off it's time to start checking each cylinder's compression numbers and try to head off a bigger failure later.

Knot Now
01-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Have him do a online search for CCV filters. Racor makes universal CCV filters.
They are a common addition to the older 41s. they seperate the oil out of the blow-by, therefore redusing the smoke. If his blowby is too large of a volume, then the motor will need major repair.

Phil

Sleigher
01-12-2006, 03:18 PM
The "fix" was for the 41A. And as Phil said it is with the use of a CCV 4500.
I did a power point show of my fix so if the guy is interested I can send it to him. The 41P shouldn't have the same problem as the 41A probably a bigger issue concerning blow-by.
Anyhow, if he wants to see the ppt he (or anyone) can email me.

Peter

NoSlack
01-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Here is a link to the old post.

http://www.bocaboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481

Mike