PDA

View Full Version : Raw Water Pump Question

Mac Attack
01-28-2006, 06:16 PM
:confused:
Changed all fluids and filters in the motor, outdrive, all the zincs. I used my trusty Jabsco oil pump works great. Let the motor run for 15 minutes while hooked up to the garden hose.Changed the oil and filter no problems. Decided to change the raw water impeller while I am at it. Removed old one and reinstalled new one with gasket. Hooked back up to the garden hose, and nothing.Now I can't get it to pump thru the exhaust, what did I do wrong????? Trying to save a few bucks and do it myself.

Mike
Mac Attack

Wizard
01-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Did you take it back apart to inspect the impeller? I can't imagine you had a faulty impeller that sheared all the vanes immediately. Did you bend the vanes the right way when installing? Did you take the raw water pump off to do the job? If so, maybe the notch in the shaft didn't go all the way back into that plastic thing (companion flange?) between the pump and the fuel injector pump? Did you remove the cam (bronze wedge half-moon thing inside pump held in by one screw) that caused the vanes to compress on one side?

Those are the only things I can think of.

Mac Attack
01-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Yes, I must have taken the thing on and off five times to check it. Looks like the vanes are going the right way. Even pulled off the entire pump to see what was wrong. The companion flange did look a little beat up, but it was working great before I messed with it. The old impeller had started to tear at one of the vanes. Guess I will order a new companion flange and try it again. Seems to pump at high rmps but stops when I go back to idle. Used o-ring lube like was suggested by Mike (No Slack). Even tried to prime by pouring water in the water stainer, and filling it up to the top.

Thanks Mike
Mac Attack

hijole
01-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Are you plugging up the small hole below the pick up on te OD? Maybe not enough water going in

NoSlack
01-28-2006, 09:47 PM
The only time my pump wouldn't move some water was when the o-ring/seal on the water pickup tube in the outdrive was bad. The pump was sucking air through bad o-ring and wouldn't let the pump get a prime. The first picture is looking down on the intermediate housing with the upper gear box removed. You can see the water tube is off center because the seal was gone.
http://bocaboard.com/data/noslack/IM000719.JPG

You can do a quick test buy hooking the hose back up to the muffs and see if any water squirts out in the area of the intermediate housing with pressure on the hose. You will need to plug the hole on the bottom of the outdrive and hold the muffs tight to build up some water pressure.Wiggle the outdrive back and forth / up and down while you look for leaks.

If you find it's leaking around the water tube, the next thing you will be seeing a pile like this to get to the part you need to change.
http://bocaboard.com/data/noslack/pile.jpg

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
01-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Sometimes you will get "air lock " in the system and the raw water basket will not fill with water; by cracking open the raw water basket cap the water will be allowed up through the system into the basket and beyond. This happened to me in the water twice after launching but never on the trailer with a hose. If you have rubber exhaust flaps on your outdrive, I've had better luck pinning them open with a screwdriver or wrench. Seems stupid and very minor, but it works!

Mac Attack
01-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks everyone:

I did have a air lock in the system. Ever have one of those days when nothing goes right. Yesterday was mine, so I put the tools away early enjoyed a cold beer. Today was a different story, everything flowed nice and smooth. Boat is now ready for its new slip in Marina Del Rey. Hope to get on the tournament board soon. Great website with a lot of expert advice.

Thanks All
Mike / Mac Attack

NoSlack
01-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Glad everthing turned out OK.

Looking forward to some reports from up your way.

Mike