PDA

View Full Version : white smoke

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:14 AM
#0, white smoke
Posted by InlawOutlaws on Aug-27-02 at 03:47 PM

I fueled sunday(8-18)atfer a tuna run to the 213 at Pearsons. The boat wouldn't fire off, I gave it some throtter and she started. By the time I got to the boat ramp my 23 blackman was smoking, white smoke and running rough. We thought it was the injector so I send them to Advance Diesel Injector Inc. and had them checked and rebuild. After installing the rebuilt injectors I fired the boat off and it still smoked and ran rough. I then switched over to port saddle tank and the smoke cleared up and she ran smoothly. When I switched to the main tank the smoke returned and ran rough. I usually gas up off the street which doesn't use red dye feul, would the red dye cause the boat to ran rough and smoke? Or would it be the gas?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: white smoke
Posted by NoSlack on Aug-27-02 at 05:18 PM
In response to message #0

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-02 AT 06:59 PM (PST)

Ther is no difference between Red Dye and street fuel(edit: except for how long it's been sitting around in a rusty tank near the water). The dye is put in the fuel to mark it as non road taxed fuel.
I am very picky as to where I get my fuel on the water. I was burned once by Dana Landing in Mission Bay and I've never been back. In San Diego Bay, Harbor Island Texaco has delivered great fuel every time and gives a nice little discount to us Blackman owners.

Plain and simple, you got a bad load of fuel in the main tank that will have to be treated with addatives or polished buy a service.

If you have a Racor 500 fuel filter/water separator, I would take a look in it for any signs of water.

Poor fuel quality = white smoke
Not enough combustion air = black smoke

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: white smoke
Posted by Hijole on Aug-27-02 at 06:17 PM
In response to message #1

I have been running fuel from the docks for several years. I had had white smoke for awhile but I just thought it was my engine starting to age. This past spring when I took the boat out of the water for maintance I put in 100 gallons of street fuel. What a difference. It ran so much better. I don't think mine was as bad as what you described.
After 2500 hours I have rebuilt my injectors three times and replaced the tips at 2000. It also improved after I replaced the tips.

#3, RE: white smoke
Posted by Sleigher on Aug-28-02 at 11:18 AM
In response to message #0

I used to buy pink dye on the water but I noticed a definite difference in the smoke and run qualities.
I now buy pink dye on land and have not had any complaints. The hours are better (24) the price is comparable and I don't have to worry about tieing up in a cross wind.
I have heard that the cetane rating was lower in the harbor fuel. I wouldn't know and the place I buy my pink dye told me theirs (fuel) had a cetane rating of at least fifty. All I know is the boat runs better and after warming up it doesn't smoke at all.

#4, RE: white smoke
Posted by Hijole on Aug-29-02 at 01:14 PM
In response to message #3

Where do you buy your red dyed fuel on land?
There is a place in National City that sells the red dye but they are not open 24.

#5, RE: white smoke
Posted by NoSlack on Aug-29-02 at 04:24 PM
In response to message #4

The truck stop in National City is the only place I've tried on land. ($1.30 as of 8/27) I believe there is a place out in Lakeside but that would be way out of my way.
Give Harbor Island fuel dock a shot before you give up on the fuel docks all together. Make sure you let the guy at the pump know your boat is a Blackman so you can take advantage of the price break Don has worked out for us.

Mike

#6, RE: white smoke
Posted by Sleigher on Sep-03-02 at 01:05 PM
In response to message #4

I set up a commercial account with Dion and Sons in Wilmington. With that account it allows me to purchase fuel at any of the "Pacific Pride" fuel sites. They are not manned totally self serve facilities located all over the country.http://www.pacificpride.com/
The website has a locator which helps you find the most accessible sites.