PDA

View Full Version : LJ Saturday night 28 Jan

yellowfin1
01-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Been working way too much. Assigned to chair some big working group! Decided I needed a break and launched from De Anza cove Saturday afternoon during that super negative tide. While backing odd the trailer I hear clunk, clunk, clunk (but worse)! Immediately went to neutral and ran down to check the O/D. From what I could tell no problems. Shut down and checked the marine strainer. Some silt but, no problem otherwise. Asked a fellow boater to pull me out a ways to clear the mud so I could investigate more. Found no problems and everything worked fine. Spent the night off of LJ cove in hopes of some kind of night bite. Three times in a row a live mackerel on a dropper loop resulted in a hookup and a break off. The third time I had whatever it was halfway to the boat before breaking it off. Line (straight 40lb) was frayed. No other strikes all night. Fished a while in the AM with no luck. Nice break from work and other stuff. Further investigation of props upon pulling her out of the water revealed a nylon strap wrapped around the prop and my props a little chewed up. I'll need new ones soon. No internal damage.

Later,
Scott

DOGHOUSE26
01-31-2006, 07:15 PM
I hate that ramp at high tide with an aluminum skiff! I didn't think it was steep enough for a 26.

Did you get a chance to light up for squid? You probably had a BSB or maybe a soupfin, at least you were able to get out. I think I was 0-for-January for the first time!

Work Sucks!

Time Out
01-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Scott

From what I have hear the BSB are in full swing. Off the channel island they are catching 40 to 80 lbs on every boat. Who knows like you say it beats working.

Russ