PDA

View Full Version : Perch-a-Palazzo 2/25

NoSlack
02-25-2006, 06:32 PM
Took all the ghost shrimp I pump over the past 2 days up to Torry Pines. Arrived on scene just as the tide was turning from the afternoon low of -1.6'.

We spotted a couple of nice hole near the clam beds and started tossing out the shrimp. Wide open for the next two hours.

Back at it again Sunday with a fresh load of shrimp.

Mike

http://www.bocaboard.com/data/noslack/Torry perch.jpg

Sleigher
02-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Cute little fish too. :D

NoSlack
02-27-2006, 12:57 PM
We hit the same hole Sunday for a slow pick at the perch. Couldn't figure out were all the perch went until a guy shows up and starts pulling halibut out of the hole. Even perch know they don't want to be at the bottom of the food chain.

I saw him pull 4 fish out of there including one that went 10 pounds. Being the halibut slut I am, I had to go over and picked his brain for a while.

I'll be re-tooling the surf gear this week and going for my first surf butt next trip out.

Mike

Knot Now
02-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Mike,
Please share your surf rig as they don't count for the board.:D
Phil

NoSlack
02-27-2006, 04:38 PM
When I'm targeting the perch, I fish light gear and use a Carolina rig. Egg sinker, bead, swivel, 18-24" of #4 fluorocarbon and a #6 Owner light wire circle hook.

If you use ghost shrimp for bait, you'll need some 2" strands of copper wire. Twist one end on the eye of the hook and corkscrew the rest around the shrimp. This help hold the shrimp on when you cast and make it harder for the dinks to steal your bait.

http://www.bocapix.com/data/511/medium/surf_rig.jpg

We also like the new Gulp products from Berkley. The small sandworms and the 1/2" sand fleas get bit real well.

The guy I saw putting the hurt on the halibut was fishing 10 pound test on a long Steelhead rod. He was flylining frozen smelt that he had double hooked. He was working the hole like you would at a river for trout. Toss it out and let the current move the bait through the hole.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
02-27-2006, 05:13 PM
My dad caught a 21.5# butt in the surf off Torrey Memorial Day 40 years ago; my brothers and I were so proud of the barred perch we caught by Flatrock , when we showed my dad the perch he said go take a look up on the beach next to mom on the towel. When my older brother saw the huge butt (not my mom!) he ran down to the surf and threw our stringer of perch and his rod into the surf and then stayed in the car until it was time to leave.

They are probably up there following the squid, good luck!