PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 4 cyl Overhual

CAPTAIN HOOK
03-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Guys. I am in the process of overhauling my volvo aq145 on my Blackman 20.

I just had a valve job done, gone through and cleaned the fwc system,replaced all fuel lines and separater element, replaced all pumps, new exhaust manifold, new intake and new weber 2 barrel carb conversion(from double carb setup to a single 2bbl carb set up), all new timing components and gears.

Here is my problem. I was able to get the cam gear and the imermediate gear off, but I cant seem to remove the crank shaft gear. I got the front bolt off and the harmonic balancer hub off at this point but I cant seem to get the gear off. The gear has a mcmann key coming from the inside but I cant remove it. Sandwhiched on both sides of this gear are timing belt guide plates that keep the belt from walking. As mentioned, I have removed the outter plate exposing the gear. The inner plate, butts up behind the gear keeping me from being able to get a gear puller on it. I could try to get the puller jaws around the guide plate, but I suspect it will just bend the crap out of it and not move the gear. Does anyone have a tool that I dont know about that will get this rusty gear off of my crank shaft.

I welcome all sugestions. Thanks!

Doug-

Sleigher
03-01-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm not familiar with this particular engine but: is it possible that the gear comes off with jacking bolts? Are there threaded holes in the face of the gear that you could thread bolts in, thus forcing the gear off the shaft?
We have a lot of gears and pulleys that are removed that way.

Peter

CAPTAIN HOOK
03-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks Peter, but nope, no holes in the gear. I was hoping there was so I could try and use a steering wheel puller.

Thanks anyway.

Doug

Wizard
03-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Can you get a puller evenly on any part of it? If so, put just enough tension on it without bending, then heat up the gear with a propane torch while tapping on the center puller bolt. Sometimes it will just pop if all that is possible.

CAPTAIN HOOK
03-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Cool! thanks Glenn. I will give it try.

Moo Fish
03-02-2006, 06:09 AM
http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=348&topic_id=42343&mesg_id=42343&page=3

Everybody needs some spare iron in their backyard.....rt

CAPTAIN HOOK
03-02-2006, 10:38 AM
I spoke to scott already. He wasnt sure if he wanted to separate the engines. Thats when I began my rebuild process. His boat should be done from Blackman's repower. He went to a single D like the rest of you guys. Most likely needed some extensive fiberglass work on the transom. He's got a clean boat "connie"

CAPTAIN HOOK
03-09-2006, 06:38 AM
Got the old gear off with a little tap with a wood chisel. Two taps and the gear slid right off. I now have a new crank gear and guide plates. Seem I have replaced everything on this engine. I am shooting for Monday the 13th to test run it. Will show off my handy work at the spring bbq if it is on this year. Thanks for the replies. Glenn, I bet you can do this stuff in your sleep at this point. I would like to see the finished pics of your overhaul. Thanks again.

hijole
03-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Why do we have to wait until Spring?

DOGHOUSE26
03-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Because Hijole we want you to be there and your probation ends early May and then we can have the picnic in a city park or within 1000 yards of a school without having to worry about you getting taken away again. :D